What's new
What's new

Solberga drill press, need info please

Spud

Diamond
Hello
Unfortunately the seller doesn't state model number.

Only description is:
Gear head
220 3 phase
18" x 18" 2 way t-slotted table.
solbergamekaniska.jpg

Here is a very similar drill head but mine has an extra shaft protrusion below the main lever.What looks like a collar is going from this shaft to the spindle.
mvsolberga.jpg

Looking at Solberga senr7 from Machinery Values , the heads look very similar except for that above mentioned 2nd shaft protrusion below the main handle. I can see 2 nuts and bolts that must be how the head is clamped to the column along with a crank handle to raise and lower. So if I loosen the 2 bolts, I should be able to slide teh head off the column?

Need the following info:
Model number/name, year of mfg
*Weight*
*Can the head be seperated from the column by just loosing some bolts?*
Height of drill
Any info about the machine is welcomed.

The 2 asterixed info is what I am hoping to know asap.

Thanks

"but mine has an extra shaft protrusion below the main lever"

Confused. Do you own one of the two pictured above?

My experience with a Clausing with a much lighter drilling head is that you better have something solid overhead and a lever hoist to carefully lift off the head. It's about a 4-man job without any lifting devices, way up off the floor.

Then when you set the head back on the column, it needs to be aligned perfectly in order to "seat" or start sliding, again where the lever hoist comes in handy, but still difficult to rig it so it balances perfectly.

Perhaps smart minds installed a tapped hole in the casting for installing an eyebolt at the balance point to aid such activities...but I'd verify before counting on such a feature.

I'm just guessing at weight, 1200-1500 lbs for the total machine.

I'm just guessing at weight, 1200-1500 lbs for the total machine.
Don't scare me Matt :(

Ya I own the top one.I got to pick it up before the 31st.I was thinking of laying drill on the floor then unbolting and sliding the head off the column.....just me and b-in-law. This on the assumption that drill would be around 5-600 lbs.Or I might take my engine hoist along :D ,the one I bought to lift the Alzmetall.

On the Willis-Solberga website, the 570lb drill press (2nd from left) looks like it might be in the same class as this one.
solbergadrills.jpg

Willis-Solberga

FWIW, I've seen many Solbergas, Arbogas and Strands in my day, but have never seen that sort of apparatus attached to the quill handle. Almost looks like some sort of power feed retrofit that has "fallen down" out of position, but if in it's intended position I can't imagine what it's all about.

If you want to add to your Euro drill collection, I have a brand new Arboga with power feed for sale cheap ;)

arboga.jpg

Dunno Spud, anything under 4,000 lbs I don't pay much attention to what it weighs.

Spud,

Hey, we can have a pool on guessing the weight. With all that cast iron/semisteel I guess around 1000-1200 lbs.

So there is an unusual clump of mechanism between the manual feed lever and the quill. And the housing for that "clump" looks beefy enough to hold some gears. Could this just be an unusual gear train, used to connect the manual feed lever to the quill feed? One that where the geared feed connects to the gear train inside the housing?

I know of a guy who gave his 36 foot yacht away (to his sone) because "it moved when I stepped onto it". His 72 footer doesn't move. Neither will this drill press. Congrats, and enjoy.

Jim

I know of a guy who gave his 36 foot yacht away (to his sone) because "it moved when I stepped onto it". His 72 footer doesn't move
LMAO :D

Oh and on the Solberga..."clump", that's it ! The optional "clumping" mechanism...I'd forgotten all about it !

Yes, I looked it up also just now...about 600 lbs is correct.

In looking thru my drilling machine files I stumbed onto some other interesting things....like a full brochure on Alzmetall I just bought ! Turns out it's not an AB40, but rather the "Abomat 50" and has either no. 40 or 50 spindle ! John at Willis confirms my $40+K estimate on the price when new.

Also, remember the Kira drill I thought so highly of ? Apparently it was actually made by "Nambuk" ! Found a Nambuk brochure with the identical machine in there. And seeing as Nambuk made nothing but drilling machines, including radial drills, I figure most likely they made these for Kira rather than the other way around. Nambuk had plants in Japan and Korea.

I just got a chuckle out of visiting the Nambuk website. They have a machine called the

"Automatic Squid Jigging Machine" :D

http://www.nambuk.co.kr/index_english.html

Since they got a product section labelled "Fishing apparatus", it must really be for squids. They also have explosion proof lighting fixtures.... thats one odd company.Don't know if this is the Nambuk drill mfg but too funny to pass up mentioning.

edit
found the Nambuk drill mfg after some more searching.
http://nambuk-machine.co.kr/
nambuck.gif

Is the pic too wide?Unfortunately I don't know how to edit out all those Korean charaters and editing pic to next size down makes the drill pic really tiny.

Very purty drill, whats that black shaft running from below the table to teh column?a powered shaft to rotate column?
edit, nvm I think it is connected to the hand crank to raise table.

Excellent research Spud. And damned if they don't still make the same drill press...cool. The Kira version had a rectangular table and green paint, but otherwise identical.

I think the clumping mechanism on your new baby will jiggle squids as well, but only manually. An automatic squid jiggler would be something to aspire to in the future.

"*Can the head be separated from the column by just loosing some bolts?*'

The shop I worked in when I was an apprentice had an Solberga similar to the photo you posted. On our machine the head could be moved by loosen a couple of Allen bolts and then cranking the head up our down on a rack gear.

"Height of drill"

I'm 6' tall and I remember reaching up to change gears. So I would say 6' 6"

As an aside I have found the easiest way to move a drill press is to slide the table and head all the way to the bottom. That way you get the center of gravity down low and you don't have to worry about tipping it over. You can then move it with a hand cart.

I tried removing the head on my Strands when I bought it and it wouldn't come all the way off with the crank. I remember having to remove the shaft of the crank handle with the gear that engauges the rack otherwise it comes to a halt at the end of the rack gears. Yours may be different but I figured that out after I got it home. Jim

If that drill press is like most of the Swedish mfg ones, you will be able to lower the table to near the base, but not the head. The head should be on a separate rack that will only allow it to be raised or lowered about ten inches.

Two normal men should be able to take the head off if it is laid down. Be careful of how the weight bears on the table, as they can break. Mine has an old weld repair on the underside of the table. Rotate it so that it does not have the machine weight bearing on it.

Once my head was off, I could wrestle it around and I am not Charles Atlas. I used an electric hoist to put it back on after some repairs and making a new upper rack gear, which was missing. As mentioned, alignment was critical, but it is doable by one person.

Fasteners are all metric sized.

The head should come off the top of the upper rack gear, but is blocked from coming off the bottom, for obvious safety reasons.

When I brought a Wilton/Strands 25" gearhead home from a couple of hours away I did it in a full-size pickup with a topper without taking the head off. It weighs around 800# and I had to lay it down anyway. I don't have a fork truck or hoist capable of unloading the press with it upright so this seemed like a good solution.

I attached some outriggers to stabilize the press and tipped it on its back. Two 4' 2x10s nailed into a 4' long L shape were bolted under the back of the base and a 4x4 the same length was attached to the top rear of the column. Some scraps nailed to the 4x4 formed a vee against the column and a 2x4 and long carriage bolts clamped it on. The 4x4 kept things on the back of the column from touching the bed, and it was easy to lay down and transport without fear of tipping or shifting.

Loading was accomplished with a fork truck and unloading was done at my shop using ramps and muscle power. It took a little effort but worked quite nicely.

Chris

Update
I just found out that seller's place has overhead crane and forklift but I still want to either lay it flat or lay it vertical, only if the table and head can be brought all the way down.

Is it worth sliding the head off the column from the top? or is that a PITA especially considering the trouble trying to align it when putting it back together? If just loosening the head bolts to lower the head, then will it go below the normal up/down crank point?

What should I do? I am gona be using a crew cab short bed pickup. Same one I used couple of months ago for a 900lb ish 6'4" ish drill press.

Hi Spud, got my eyes recalibrated for weight :D

I actually was thinking 600 # initially despite my earlier post in the fog of morning. Somehow doubled that figure...but if you had taken my advice at least you would have been safe on capacity

Still, that head is going to be heavy, like half the weight or nearly so IMHO. While somewhat dimunitive, it's filled with steel on the inside.

Here's what I would do.

Use the bridge crane to set the base on a short stack of 2x4s so it is tipped to one side.

Run a little slack in the hoist chain/cable, and then simply manually push it over the balance point. Now lower the crane carefully. Best to bring lots and lots of blocking so the DP isn't laying on one or more of the handles.

As far as re-righting it...not going to be easy short of a gang of 12 people, some to lift it up and others to keep it from going "over center". Of course typical solutions like wrecker booms, forklifts, or gantry cranes can make the job quicker and easier.

As far as righting the column, absolutely easier without the big mass up top....but then the challenge becomes like posted earlier...how to realign the head while balancing the weight.

If you have a framed ceiling over top of where the final resting place is going to be...consider whether it can support the ~300 lbs for repositioning the head...

Couple of ideas...

clausing_20_13.JPG

clausing_20_14.JPG

Back