What's new
What's new

WEG motors, made where

The company started in Jaragua du Sol in the state of Santa Catarina, Brazil. That's right between Blumenau (were my wife is from) and Joinville (were the rest of the in-laws live).

I look at WEG this way. The company is just 50 years old and is competing around the world. You don't see the WEG transformers up here yet. In South America, they would be the equivalent of GE.
JR

I have used WEG VFD with and without their Vector rated motors occasionally in the past, the local rep just showed me a new VFD/Motor combo that WEG guarantee 100% torque down to 1 rpm and no fan required on the motor.
Minder.

I have a woodworking customer,- who openly admits he ''works his machines hard'' (read ;- beats the crap out of 'em) and has failed to break a WEG motor or VFD - so far which seeing as he's broken, bent or f'd just about everything else:eek: must say something about them.

My Brazilian made Nardini lathe has a WEG motor. A bunch of Germans moved to Brazil post WWII and started the Nardini line a long time ago and they made (and still do make) nice machines. I don't think they would throw a POS motor in a machine like this.

Well.....as far as small motors go I guess they are possibly no worse than any other but their large motors are ca-ca. Definitely not a top name.

Well.....as far as small motors go I guess they are possibly no worse than any other but their large motors are ca-ca. Definitely not a top name.

Care to elaborate on how you came to this conclusion? I have never heard they were bad; rather expensive and not as easy to find suitable replacements.....but not "ca-ca".........:confused:

Well......they are excluded from acceptable bidder's lists by most of the major companies in the US. For example, Chevron, Exxon, Valero, BP, etc won't buy them.

Stop and give it some thought - do you really think a Brazilian designed and built motor is going to be top shelf? You can still buy motors made in the USA, France, England, Germany, etc. so what are the odds that a Brazilian motor is going to be their equal? None, really.

Well......they are excluded from acceptable bidder's lists by most of the major companies in the US. For example, Chevron, Exxon, Valero, BP, etc won't buy them. .
....Valero is not US based if my memory serves me and BP is British Petroleuom......All a moot point though as this has nothing to do with WHY they are "bad"....

Stop and give it some thought - do you really think a Brazilian designed and built motor is going to be top shelf? You can still buy motors made in the USA, France, England, Germany, etc. so what are the odds that a Brazilian motor is going to be their equal? None, really.
This is all speculation on your part. I would love to have actual factual information or first hand knowledge for that matter. Deductive reasoning of why the US does not use this motor tells me NOTHING..... There is a very good reason the US uses primarily GE motors but I will not get into politics......I would just like something other than speculation.....;)

the connection box has metric threads on these motors and that alone might be reason enough for US companies to reject them.
I bought a 7 1/2 hp on ebay($100)to build my RPC and it works fine for me for that purpose.

Before we get to bitching about where they're made, and hysterical anti rants,.......... has anybody got any prices for comparison.

You get what you pay for.

The US does not use primarily GE motors.

If you want to argue that a highly technical product made in a third world country is as good as one made in Germany or the US or France then be my guest. I'll even trade you your Mercedes for my Yugo.

Sami if your after weg motors im pritty sure brammer is a reseller over here. never delt with one myself, normmaly use ABB given the choice, but its just because they have never let me down yet!

Back