What's new
What's new

Drill press spindle

chvet73

Plastic
I have a Taiwan Drill press. I want to remove the taper chuck spindle from the main spindle. Unlike many drill presses when you crank the spindle down there is no slot to drive a wedge in. So the question is how can you remove that tapered spindle. I have already removed the chuck from the tapered spindle.
Thanks for your help in advance.

Drill a small (1/8-3/16) hole in the side of the spindle at a point where the end of the chuck adapter would be, fill with oil. Take a piece of very close fitting rod or dowel pin, insert it in the oil filled hole and give it a tap with a hammer.Should pop it out hydraulically. This assumes that it is a blind hole. Regards, Mike

Are you sure that part is removeable ? Some smaller/cheaper DPs only had the end of the spindle made with a taper to direct mount a chuck. Being there is no slot for a drift I think that is highly likely.

Arbor

I am sure it is removeable. As the drill press refers to it as having a 2 1/2 morse taper. I actually have 2 of these drill presses and the other has the traditonal slot. I want to exchang the arbors between the 2 and then sell the extra drill press. One arbor is larger on the chuck end which can then accomadate a larger chuck.

The very end of the drill chuck arbor is perpendicular to the spindle axis, basically a flat which is parallel to the floor. I know it would be tricky, but if I were you I'd tip the machine over on its side and set up a mag drill on a big angle plate clamped to the DP table, and drill right up the center of the arbor (i.e. right up the DP spindle axis) and then tap it. Once drilled and tapped, then you can cobble up a puller.

I haven't ever heard of a spindle with removable arbor where they randomly "forgot" the slot, though. It doesn't have a drawbar down from the top, does it? That would be cool - you could then put a boring head in!

Those are cheap machines. Chuck arbors are cheap too. If all you want is a bigger chuck arbor for yours, buy one and sell the other machine as it is. And next time don't buy one without a slot in the spindle.

metalmagpie

we have a DP at work with no slot, there is a plastic stop which limits the up travel of the quill.
When you want to remove a taper you swing the stop out the way and then give the quill a sharp rap home with the handle and out pops the taper.
Maybe yours has some system like this

Back