What's new
What's new

Machine slide ID help. Rivett?

precision tools

Stainless
I acquired this slide a few days ago and need help ID'ing it. It is very Rivett-ish looking, but does not match anything I see on Tony's site for Rivett. The long slide and T slot do not appear on them.

The slide is 6-1/2" long X 3-5/8" wide. It has a right hand thread on the lead screw which makes me think milling slide rather than lathe slide. It is well made, scraped in and match numbered as common with Rivett.

slide1

slide2

Thanks for your help.

Here are pictures of an Elgin Tool Works, Chicago, IL 9 inch lathe slide rest from around 1940. The bottom of the lathe slide rest looks like your photo, but you did not show other views. The base, that sits on the lathe bed, is 3.63 x 6.5 inches, same as yours. The top would have a circular T-slot and the left side would have a straight T-slot if it is like mine.

Larry

ElginToolWorks9insliderest4.jpg

ElginToolWorks9insliderest3.jpg

ElginToolWorks9insliderest5.jpg

It looks like you got it in one Larry. Thanks.

I was looking at it wrong side up, but it all makes sense. I got it with an Emco Maximat that the previous owner has adapted the Elgin or Hardinge compound to, this was a left over. The top does have the T-slot on the left side, but the circular T-slot is in the underside of the compound.

I acquired this slide a few days ago and need help ID'ing it. It is very Rivett-ish looking, but does not match anything I see on Tony's site for Rivett. The long slide and T slot do not appear on them.

The slide is 6-1/2" long X 3-5/8" wide. It has a right hand thread on the lead screw which makes me think milling slide rather than lathe slide. It is well made, scraped in and match numbered as common with Rivett.

Thanks for your help.

Maybe an old "Gilman? They made a wide variety of slides, however their slides were generally even inches in dimension.

Definately not Rivett the handles opposite the balls are too fat, Rivett are skinny little things

Back