What's new
What's new

To drill the spindle or the chuck? That is the question..

PhatNOB

Plastic
Hello all,

I hope this is the right area for a noob post like this but here goes..

I have a HQ400/3b lathe/mill and the spindle has a flush mount setup for mounting chucks.
This has a 72mm step/register which the chuck locates, and three bolt holes to pull the chuck snug. The bolt holes are 84mm PCD.

I bought a four Jaw chuck which has the same register (72mm) and the same PCD (84mm) but has four bolt holes instead of three.

The question I have is:

A, do I drill and tap two new holes in the chuck (can use one of the existing holes this way)
Or
B, drill two new holes in the spindle face (again utilising one of the existing holes)
Or
C, make a backplate which permanently mounts to the four Jaw chuck?

If anyone could offer some advise that would be great cheers :)

Last edited:
I don't recommend changing the spindle for any reason especially if all you need to do is fix the back plate. Seriously, it's your machine so do what you want but I would drill and tap the back plate.
Dan

Thanks Dan, I didn't really want to modify the spindle either.
Do you mean drill and tap the back of the chuck or make a backplate to adapt?
The chuck has no backplate currently.

Drill and countersink the bolts on the back plate, is the best solution it you don't want to make a new back plate.

Thanks Dan, I didn't really want to modify the spindle either.
Do you mean drill and tap the back of the chuck or make a backplate to adapt?
The chuck has no backplate currently.

Better to TRADE that four-hole backplate, unaltered, for the three-hole backplate the spindle wants.

They are built to a 'standard' of some sort, even if proprietary. Which it may not be. Check the DIN pubs for the Metrif**kated counterpart of a bolt-attached American(ish) "A" standard short-taper, perhaps?

And/or show us photos with decent dimensions, etc.

Holes may not be the only difference.

And nooooo do not f**k with the spindle!

AFTER.. you get a proper fit, backplate to spindle, THEN you turn it in situ, on the spindle it will run with, to a good fit to the shallow recess in the back of the chuck. Presuming it has such.

Bolts for that come last, but you DO want to insure they will be spaced where there is "meat' enough, AND NOT aligned with any of the backplate-to-spindle fasteners. Nor block access to them.

A photo or three of spindle for-sure, chuck back as well, really would help others to help you.

definitely don't want to meddle with the spindle. If you dink the backplate, you haven't ruined the machine.

Make a back plate. After making sure the chuck is registered correctly to the back plate , then remove the chuck and take a light facing cut across the back plate. Re-install chuck and your done.

Thank you for all the great replies. I have plenty of info to work with now cheers guys.

Digger Doug: the image you found is a similar machine. Mine though, has the compound slide which doubles as the vice for the mill.

Thank you for all the great replies. I have plenty of info to work with now cheers guys.

Digger Doug: the image you found is a similar machine. Mine though, has the compound slide which doubles as the vice for the mill.

No matter, please read the sticky up above about which types of machines are not to be discussed.

Back