What's new
What's new

turnmaster 13x30 info

xXThunderGodXx

Plastic
A Friend of mine came across a deal for the turnmaster variable speed and would like to flip it for a profit. It is dirty A.F. and it came with no chucks or tooling. It only has the tailstock and the collet adapter, no closer for the collets. It did come with an instruction and parts manual but it isn't very intuitive. It runs well but there is a noticeable lack of parts or accessories out there. My main question is what would this thing be worth after a good cleaning. I am open to all opinions on the subject, Thanks.

Chromed ways? I've never seen that. I know BP did that but they do it to lathes too?

The one in the CL ad seems to have little use and much neglect, per the rust. My experience is that in normal use the aluminum plaques wear through from hands being held against them for whatever reason. I wonder if anyone bothers to make the deep recessed cast or deep etched brass ones anymore.
Turnmanster lathes used to be distributed by Lagun, though they no longer do.

There are Turnmaster lathes listed on the Lagun site today and they look a lot like the South Bends that Grizzly sells but withe upgrade features like pressure fed headstock.

Howie you're right, my mistake. It was "American Turnmaster" who wrote it;

"We apologize that we are not distributing American Turnmaster Lathes at this time.
For American Turnmaster Lathe Sales, Parts or Service, please contact the importer:

Republic Lagun Corp.
800 Sprucelake Drive
Harbor City CA 90710 USA
Telephone: 310-518-1100
Fax: 310-830-0923
Email: info @ LAGUN . com"

From http://www.americanmachinetools.com/american_turnmaster_lathes.htm

Nobody?
I think with not having chucks and in good running condition perhaps $2,000 on a very good day around Detroit.

Here is one with a chuck and steady for $3750 asking. Lucky to get that unless it is super nice.

Here likely to fire it up and hear it run..

TURNMASTER 13 X 4 LATHE WITH READOUT

I kinda figured this would be the case. Any of the ones I found were the gearbox style 13x40 turnmaster and they were well equipped. This one is 13x30, isn't equipped with anything and it is the infinite variable drive system equipped with a manually adjustable c.v.(constant velocity) style transmission. I hate to burst my friends bubble but he has high aspirations on what can be gotten for this machine. It currently resides in my shop while I clean it up. Don't get me wrong, I am hoping it sells quickly and for a good price because I stand to profit some from it, especially after nearly getting heatstroke loading it and 2 harig super 612 surface grinders. but my pessimistic side was knawing at me while I researched it.
Thanks for the info so far.

Hope you clean up the grinders with a damp rag wipe and not a spray of any kind.
Damp rag can be any number of things like thinner or some soaps preferably ones that are less causing rust, a little washing soda added might help that factor. Damp means not soaking wet so to avoid getting wetness in the tight areas and bearings.
Some machine flippers ruin a machine with poor cleaning methods.

I live a long ways from Detroit, but isn't it in the midst of an economic drought? The whole of America is in one, but Detroit has been singled out for many years in the news and magazine stories.

How would you come out if you added the chucks? A few people would be intimidated by the simple prospect of finding the correct chucks, I know, I'd rather choose my own but some folks want the decisions made by others. Literature should show the sizes that came with it.

Back