What's new
What's new

Drilling a-286 stainless

blgmachine

Cast Iron
I NEED DO DRILL 400 PCS TYPE A-286 S.S.
HOLE IS .656 SHOULD I PRE DRILL PIOLET OR GO IN RITE OFF WITH .656
DRAWING CALLS OUT 30 DEGREE ANGLE +/- 5 DEGREE AT HOLE BOTTOM SO CANT USE INDEXABLE DRILL

Gus

I NEED DO DRILL 400 PCS TYPE A-286 S.S.
HOLE IS .656 SHOULD I PRE DRILL PIOLET OR GO IN RITE OFF WITH .656
DRAWING CALLS OUT 30 DEGREE ANGLE +/- 5 DEGREE AT HOLE BOTTOM SO CANT USE INDEXABLE DRILL

Gus

If it's just a drilled hole.... FULL SIZE Dr ONE CUT.... cuz that material does NOT WANT TO BE BRILLED

Use a SPLIT POINT Cobalt drill..... PLENTY of coolant
run it at 10 to maybe 15 Surface ft/min...if you want the drill to last...
That is from experience... I have a stock list that says 54 Ft/min... I think thats tool salesmans speed,, sell more tools with that number....

you do know how to calculate RPM .. doncha?

Good luck

Hole depth, tolerance on dia and location, machine being used, flood coolant or TSC? how much $ was quoted per hole(can you buy fancy tools?), and moon alignment, all have to be factored in.

Be sure to ask the engineer who's name is on the drawing if the shape of the bottom of the hole is important.... You might be able to get him/her to change the drawing..... I welcome requests like this.

I have a couple HERTEL Cobalt split points to start out with
I will start at 15 sfm
RPM CALCULATES OUT TO 86 seems a little slow
If it's just a drilled hole.... FULL SIZE Dr ONE CUT.... cuz that material does NOT WANT TO BE BRILLED

Use a SPLIT POINT Cobalt drill..... PLENTY of coolant
run it at 10 to maybe 15 Surface ft/min...if you want the drill to last...
That is from experience... I have a stock list that says 54 Ft/min... I think thats tool salesmans speed,, sell more tools with that number....

you do know how to calculate RPM .. doncha?

Good luck

I have a couple HERTEL Cobalt split points to start out with
I will start at 15 sfm
RPM CALCULATES OUT TO 86 seems a little slow

for 15 ft/min you're close enough... and start there....
Cutting speeds are not cast in concreet... and the speeds slower than recomended are going to save your tools so they last longer.... the way some people look at a drill and think to themselves,,,ahh... speed it up....Exceed the Speed limit, and ya burn them up... they are the people tool salesmen love.... : )
A286 aint butter

Back