What's new
What's new

drilling in inconel

Dallasdelhomme

Plastic
I need to drill a .188 hole 1.5 deep and not shore where to start with my speeds & feeds its a reg high speed twist drill in a Mazak nexus lathe HELP!!!!

If you're using a regular 118° HSS drill, you're going to be in for a rough time. You at least need a 135° Split point drill. I would start at 30SFM and .003"/rev and .100" pecks, piloting the hole with a stub drill before going jobber length.

If it's more than a couple go carbide and ask the manufacturer for recommended feeds and speeds.

Goto Harvey tool. We drill hundreds of .05 diameter holes .2 deep in inconel 718. We called them and they have application people that will get you the right tool with the right speeds and feeds for a good price. Also the drill needs to have next to nothing for runout. And the proper spot drill will help a lot too.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Had a job drilling ~.375 x 4” dp holes in inconel 625. Regular 118* jobbers weren’t cutting it so we called up dormer and bought what they recommended and used their speeds and feeds. We bought 4 drills at ~$35ea. Drills show up, fresh piece of material, manufacturers S&F and the first drill makes it 3/8” before the death squeaks.

We had the best luck with hand sharpened HSS Co that were cutting a couple thou oversized but we still only got 1/2 a hole outta each drill. We gave up touching off th tools and just stuck the drill out roughly the same each time with a pair of calipers. Go sharpen one while the other was drilling.

I drill lots of it with HSS, usually cobalt split point drills for smaller holes. 15-20SFM , I'd use about 400-450rpm for that 3/16", coolant/good cutting oil. Change the tools when, or ideally just before it starts getting dull. I don't sharpen little 3/16 cobalt drills, not worth the time for a couple dollars each. I drill up to 1.75" dia 6-8" deep in that stuff, big drills I sharpen once in a while as required.
If you're doing more than a few holes on a cnc production job, than yeah finding the right carbide drills with high pressure coolant will make a huge difference, but its hard to justify that if its 1 hole. Also a problem for small QTY if that carbide drill breaks in the hole, cobalt is very unlikely to break vs carbide if something is off a bit.

Back