What's new
What's new

Changing belt on Siou x valve grinder

jeeper360

Plastic
First I want to say hello to the forum. I have tried searching existing threads but didn't find what I'm looking for.

I have a Sioux model 645L valve face grinder. The belt that drives the chuck broke. I have a replacement belt but can't figure out how to remove the shaft to put the belt on the pulley. Has anyone done this?

Unfortunately you have to disassemble the work head, but I figure you knew that. :D

I have a 645 that I recently cleaned and mildly refub'd, but fortunately I didn't have to swap the workhead belt. I think I have the manual for it somewhere, but even if I do, there's no telling if it has a detailed breakdown in it.

I'll look later today, in case some other helpful sort doesn't happen along shortly.

Doc.

So it's called a workhead.... I didn't know what it was called so I've learned something already. Like you said, I'll have to take it apart... I just can't seem to figure out how so far.

Sorry, I looked, and if I do have the manual- and I thought I did- I can't find it. I'm sure it'll turn up- if I have it- sometime when I clean, and I'm not looking for it. :D

But yeah, a segemented belt should work in a pinch. You'll want to do some tests on scrap valves first, to make sure you don't get "faceting" on the valve face, due to the belt.

Doc.

When the belt on our Sioux grinder broke,I replaced it with a piece of 'O'ring material,that fit the groove.Measured the old belt and cut the 'O'ring material just a little bit shorter.Laced it through the openings and put a tiny drop of super glue on one end,touched the ends together and held them for a short time.Stretched the 'O'ring loop over the pulleys and went to work.It was still working 12yrs.later when it was sold.
P.S. Cut the 'O'ring with a clean razor,square across and spray the ends with brake cleaner,then don't touch the end surface with your fingers.A small drop of glue is all that's needed.

quote: Cut the 'O'ring with a clean razor,square across and spray the ends with brake cleaner,then don't touch the end surface with your fingers.A small drop of glue is all that's needed. endquote.

Just what is "brake cleaner" ? I've been hearing about
this stuff for a while but havent been in an auto parts
store in a long time so, can anyone tell me what the
msds sheet says?
Thanks.
...lew...

Back