What's new
What's new

Off Topic: Pizza stone vs iron plate

Bill D

Diamond
OT: I bought a 12x16 marble tile to use on the propane barbecue. It has worked fairly well for pizza, and pans of lasagna, etc.
It was only $3.00 closeout at Hoe Depot and quarried in China with obvious lines. It is cracking along those lines which I kind of expected. I wonder if a piece of say 1/4-1/2" steel plate would spread the heat evenly and work well as a pizza stone?
It has been over 100 every day for the last month so it was worth it to try and keep the heat out of the kitchen.
Bill D.

A large cast iron pan or griddle works great and is fairly inexpensive. They make ones designed to be used as pizza stones (no/low sides).
I got sick of ceramic pizza stones cracking and only use cast iron now. The results are basically the same.

Bass pro shop sells a US made ~18” round cast iron griddle with a 1/8” or so lip for about $25 CAD, since they’re all the same if you have one near you check out their camping section.

I dunno....the prefab frozen pizza I made last night clearly stated
(on the box) to place directly on the open grate of the oven.

Not a pan.

You can cook pizzas on a pan or stone and it will cook just fine. If you do it right. Put the pan/stone in while the oven preheats and preheat it also. If you preheat the oven and then put the pizza on the stone and then put them both in the oven cold, the bottom of the pizza won't cook anywhere near to done before the top burns.

I cook my pizzas in a large cast iron skillet on my wood fired BBQ. I set the skillet on a 3/4 inch plate of steel.The idea is to get the crust crunchy at the same time the top is cooked. I also have a wood fired pizza oven, but I never use it. It takes too much time to heat up, and uses too much wood.The BBQ does just fine. Oh yea, I set one of those Weber tops over the skillet to turn it into a make-shift oven.

Note that many pizza stones have two sides to them -- glazed side and an unglazed side. The unglazed version is the traditional pizza stone. One of the benefits of a pizza stone (unglazed) is that it draws some of the moisture out while it cooks. That effect is done in other types of cooking as well (like a tandoor). The cast iron skillet/griddle or a steel plate would have less of that effect. It would be similar to using the glazed side of a pizza stone.

I also use a cast iron griddle for pizza. It works as well as ceramic, and doesn't crack after a few uses.

When the griddle or stone is somewhere in the neighborhood of 550 degrees, it doesn't need to draw moisture out of the crust.

Note that many pizza stones have two sides to them -- glazed side and an unglazed side. The unglazed version is the traditional pizza stone. One of the benefits of a pizza stone (unglazed) is that it draws some of the moisture out while it cooks. That effect is done in other types of cooking as well (like a tandoor). The cast iron skillet/griddle or a steel plate would have less of that effect. It would be similar to using the glazed side of a pizza stone.

I have a steel pizza "stone" my girlfriend got for me. The surface looks like it has been shot blasted with large shot. It's about 1/4" thick and works pretty good.

I made a steel pizza "stone" out of A36 structural steel plate, 5/16" inch thick. I would have bough a commercial steel pizza stone, except that my then stove was too narrow.

The steel stone works very well. I used 5/16" because the commercial vendor offered 1/4" and 3/8", and it wasn't obvious that 3/8" was actually necessary, so I split the difference. Having done 5/16", I bet that 1/4" will work perfectly well.

Back