What's new
What's new

Easiest machining and polishing stainless grade

Econdron

Hot Rolled
It's just for some furniture legs, really short too, like 8" H. Needs to be cut from 2" solid square bar then polished. No specific requirements from the customer, I'm just looking for something relatively inexpensive (not 316 SS) that I can machine on a Bridgeport and polish up nicely. Only 4 legs. Should I just stick with 304? I'm not really familiar with other grades that are commonly stocked by local steel suppliers.

303 would be my choice just for the sake of ease of machining, but I think it costs a tad more than 304 which is pot metal as far as I'm concerned.

Not sure if you can get 416 HT in 2" square, but it machines easier than 303 and polishes better. 416 annealed is gummy and does not machine, or finish as well.

It's been a long time since I worked with 420 stainless, but isn't that easy to cut? Or am I thinking of a different 400 series?
I need a beer.

Do you want sharp corners from solid or radius from tubing? Stainless is a bitch to polish if you dont have the abrasives and buffing equipment. What about brass sq tube and nickel plating?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's been a long time since I worked with 420 stainless, but isn't that easy to cut? Or am I thinking of a different 400 series?
I need a beer.
I used to strictly machine 420 pre-hard modified when I tuned extrusion dies and made random parts for the extrusion process. I'd then have to polish it to help with flow. It was very easy to cut, and wasn't too shabby to polish either, which was done with paper and no compound.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Back