What's new
What's new

1/2-13 Helicoil maximum torque?

Joe788

Titanium
I just finished a somewhat complex fixture, and there are a number of clamping mechanisms that utilize a 1/2-13 socket head cap screw, screwing into a 1/2-13x.750 Helicoil. The Helicoils are installed full depth in 6061-T6 aluminum.

The loading procedure for these parts is going to involve a torque wrench, but now I can't seem to find any information on the maximum torque for this particular coil size in this material. I'd like to tighten the bolts as much as safely possible.

Anybody have any info or ideas?

Tighten till it breaks, back off 1/2 turn.

Joe,
Is there any possible way to use studs and nuts on that? My past experience with helicoils and multiple re-use hasn't been real promising. Most helicoils are 304SS, and one overtightening episode seems to sorta guarantee that the the thread will gall and bite the bolt sufficiently to either leave everything jammed, or bring the coil out with the bolt. My guess, and its strictly a guess, would be a max torque equal to what you can put on a grade 2 bolt, and I'd still figure regular use of anti-seize would be necessary.

Anytime there's room to use them, the hardened steel type nut inserts are a much better solution for anything where the fasteners have to be removed and reinstalled on a regular basis. Ideally, they should be installed with red Loctite instead of relying on the pre-applied patch of encapsulated thread locker. If one has to be removed later, you can screw a bolt into it and heat the bolt with a torch to get sufficient heat to release the Loctite without having to aim the red wrench at the fixture itself.

Back