What's new
What's new

Edge precision offers superior excellent machining content

Forrest Addy

Diamond
Giving another and separate boost to Edge Machining whose YouTube videos offer excellent depictions and illustrations of the inner dialog a skilled machinist makes as he works through the steps of manufacturing production parts.

Edge Precision
- YouTube

There's an old light bulb joke: How many operatic tenors does it take to change a light bulb. one plus three to stand in the wings thinking how he would have does it better.

I'm no better. I watched three of the Edge Precision videos and in every one spotted a few alternatives I'd have preferred but in general found no significant fault and much to praise.

Oops, I see someone was ahead of me:

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/v...nd-new-youtube-channel-worth-watching-338899/

Hell I'll post this anyway. It's good video of excellent content quality. Most of us will benefit by watching a few.

Oops? You posted this thread long after posting in the original thread on this subject. I guess it's fine to post duplicate information, but do you need to lie about it?

Lie? I discovered Edge Precision last night when I was looking for stuff on gun drills. I composed my post long before I read yours and endorsed it. I thought about it, did some other stuff, and posted anyway, considerably after the fact but without proper disclaimers. My bad.

Regardless Edge Precision has much to offer. I thought it merited extra exposure and deserved a larger following.

Sorry if I stepped on your coattails.

No. Actually, I started my text a good many hours earlier than that but didn't post it until 4 PM 8/15. Your pursuit is silly. I have maybe 12,000 posts on this forum and I suddenly need to pirate your thread? How likely is that?

Re-construing everyday lapses as evidence of sinister intent is indicative of latent paranoia. How about it Mr Ewlsey? Are THEY out to get you? Can't find the right tinfoil to make a hat THEY can't control your brain through? Hint: the foil has to be 1% lithium. Salvage the foil from five 18650 LiPo cells. Make it like a turban with no less than 50% overlap and be sure it covers your ears and the back of your neck.

Edge Precision
What's In My Garage
Whats In My Garage - YouTube
65 videos
Edge Precision
- YouTube

get used to the audio - keeps one focused Great idea for moving small equipment around a shop: He uses overhead barn door hangers to suspend a small chain hoist. I use these for my sliding shop doors with polycarbonate panels. You could always use two channels with hangers in parallel for carrying more weight or have each with its own hoist for multiple tasks.

Whats In My Garage
A short video of the machines and my design of my garage.

<>

For non CNC people he provides a fascinating intro to coding machine procedures.

... Great idea for moving small equipment around a shop: He uses overhead barn door hangers to suspend a small chain hoist. I use these for my sliding shop doors with polycarbonate panels. You could always use two channels with hangers in parallel for carrying more weight or have each with its own hoist for multiple tasks.

Yup. Used that little trick myself when I was building stage sets. I could hang eight flats 16 ft wide x ten ft high by trolleys from a couple of tracks so our artist could mover them back and forth to paint them with minimum handling and shop space.

I'm gonna cook up something for the lathe and turret mill. I'm getting too old and feeble to rassle chucks and mill vises unassisted.

....For non CNC people he provides a fascinating intro to coding machine procedures.

That too.

I've watched a half dozen of his videos and saw him demonstrate any number of little tricks and shortcuts useful on both CNC and manual machine tools. The sound and video may not be pro quality but Peter's technical content is tops by my way of thinking.

You noobs might be well advised to watch one a couple times through for lessons you can apply to your own work.

I was fascinated by his exposition of gun drilling and how to sharpen them..Big revelation for me. I've used them several times over the years but never got consistent results. Hell, I was over feeding them. Dumb me for not recognizing my errors - til now, 40 years too late.

I have (2) runs of that in my welding area, I have 3 miller wire feeders hanging up there at just over "forehead hitting height"
but I can easily reach the controls and the wire connections.

And I even put one of my little Lincoln weldpac-100's
up there too, very handy.

I have (2) runs of that in my welding area, I have 3 miller wire feeders hanging up there at just over "forehead hitting height"
but I can easily reach the controls and the wire connections.

And I even put one of my little Lincoln weldpac-100's
up there too, very handy.

I thought at first look at his that the fittings, i.e. roller assembly and hangers, might be too light duty for the kinds of things you would want to move in a machine shop. I then realized
how heavy real barn doors are with solid wood, possibly oak. You could also group as many as four rollers together to hang a chain hoist from, to spread the weight. Small chain hoists are as cheap as those Chinese hydraulic presses so you could have a rail over every area you have equipment that uses heavy accessories, rotary tables, chucks, vices, etc. Now I am thinking of three, one each over the row of mills, the row of lathes and a short one over my LeBlonde 15X30. Can you believe, I just envisioned another use for the 400 feet of 1/2" crane cable I have had for decades, cut short lengths and with U bolts and other hardware clamp them to the overhead steel trusses and to the door hanger rails, no need for rope or chain, recycle, reuse.

Yup. Used that little trick myself when I was building stage sets. I could hang eight flats 16 ft wide x ten ft high by trolleys from a couple of tracks so our artist could mover them back and forth to paint them with minimum handling and shop space.

I'm gonna cook up something for the lathe and turret mill. I'm getting too old and feeble to rassle chucks and mill vises unassisted.

That is a good plan. There is a difference between what you can really lift and what you think you can lift. At 77 I am discovering the truth of that statement.

That too.

I've watched a half dozen of his videos and saw him demonstrate any number of little tricks and shortcuts useful on both CNC and manual machine tools. The sound and video may not be pro quality but Peter's technical content is tops by my way of thinking.

You noobs might be well advised to watch one a couple times through for lessons you can apply to your own work.

I was fascinated by his exposition of gun drilling and how to sharpen them..Big revelation for me. I've used them several times over the years but never got consistent results. Hell, I was over feeding them. Dumb me for not recognizing my errors - til now, 40 years too late.

About that 40 years too late business, if I were 40 years younger I would train myself to program and operate CNC machine shop equipment as a sideline to traditional manual machining. Until I saw his video I had no idea what CNC programming was all about. His videos are unique and he is such a pleasant guy to watch and listen to. Marc Lecuyer, That Lazy Machinist (YouTube channel) is another excellent teacher, the equal of Edge Precision. Marc taught machine shop in a community college in Canada until the course got unfunded. Now he derives income from YouTube. On Facebook there is a really fine community of professional machinists who make part or all of the living from their large YouTube channels, Abom included. They have a FB group entitled YouTube Machinists. Its a tight, supportive community with enough home machinists to make the newbies feel at home. Q&A is encouraged and tutorials abound.

Speaking of binging on YouTube videos, try Japanese sawmills. For opera the range and quality is just incredible. Reddit is almost as bad a time user as YouTube. The classical and modern music subs are good and the posts often link to music videos.

I thought at first look at his that the fittings, i.e. roller assembly and hangers, might be too light duty for the kinds of things you would want to move in a machine shop. I then realized
how heavy real barn doors are with solid wood, possibly oak. You could also group as many as four rollers together to hang a chain hoist from, to spread the weight. Small chain hoists are as cheap as those Chinese hydraulic presses so you could have a rail over every area you have equipment that uses heavy accessories, rotary tables, chucks, vices, etc. Now I am thinking of three, one each over the row of mills, the row of lathes and a short one over my LeBlonde 15X30. Can you believe, I just envisioned another use for the 400 feet of 1/2" crane cable I have had for decades, cut short lengths and with U bolts and other hardware clamp them to the overhead steel trusses and to the door hanger rails, no need for rope or chain, recycle, reuse.

The step UP from this is a lightweight gantry crane from Gorbel, the resemblance
to the above mentioned "barn door track" is striking.
Others have gotten onto the "lightweight free moving gantry" here is another:
Cranes by Kundel Cranes | For Sale: Monorails, Overhead Cranes, Jib Cranes, Intelligent Lifting Devices

And I see Northern Hydraulics is starting to sell some too.

The step UP from this is a lightweight gantry crane from Gorbel, the resemblance
to the above mentioned "barn door track" is striking.
Others have gotten onto the "lightweight free moving gantry" here is another:
Cranes by Kundel Cranes | For Sale: Monorails, Overhead Cranes, Jib Cranes, Intelligent Lifting Devices

And I see Northern Hydraulics is starting to sell some too.

Thanks for the pointer to other products. Barn door sliding hanger systems are cheap. If the ability to handle the weight you need it to carry, again, cheap options abound.
Use two or more channels side by side and two or more roller sets in each channel. Gang them all together with some sort of fixture and hang your chain hoist from it.
I see no reason to assume this would not be secure for reasonable loads and it would probably be a lot cheaper than the equivalent heavier unit and be much easier to install.
especially if you have limitations on structures to hang the channels from (a heavier unit might not be installable while the channels would).

Can't find the right tinfoil to make a hat THEY can't control your brain through? Hint: the foil has to be 1% lithium. Salvage the foil from five 18650 LiPo cells. Make it like a turban with no less than 50% overlap and be sure it covers your ears and the back of your neck.

Would I be better off to use new cells or discharged ones?

Back