What's new
What's new

Educate me Quincy 325 air compressor pumps......found one for $200

IQRaceworks

Aluminum
I've been looking for an air compressor for my shop for a while now. I had pretty much settled on a 220v 60gal vertical tank compressor from Home Dept.....when a buddy of mine tells me that I need to try to find an older Quincey air compressor. Well, I looked around....and I found a guy on Craigslist selling an "industrial air compressor" for $600. I email the ad to my buddy and ask him if it's a good deal....he calls me back and tell me that it's got a Quincy 325 pump on that compressor, and that I need to buy it ASAP. He said that hose are some of the best compressor pumps that have ever been made.

So I shot the guy an offer for $200...and he took it. Sounds like I got a hell of a deal for an air compressor. It's got a horizontal tank, 7.5hp motor, and a Quincy 325 that's in good shape. The guy says it runs good, and pumps up to 175psi without any issues.

So....can someone tell me more about these compressors? Why are they so good? Did I get a good deal?? Any more info would be great!

Thanks

Depends...

If it has a rusty old tank that you'd be afraid to use, a 3-phase motor for which you have no 3-phase power, and a worn out pump, $200 is fair. But, you'll have a lot more into it before it's a decent system.

OTOH, if the tank is good, you have 3-phase power (or the motor is single phase), and the pump is in decent shape, you stole it...
Lots has been written on Quincy pumps on this forum. They're very well made.

A 325 can't really use 7.5 HP unless you have it pumping to some unholy pressure. A 325 is a fine pump, but it's a 2-5 HP compressor.

I picked up a 5HP 325 with a recently new pump with the oil filter and continuous run option for $300. It was at the top of the craigslist page when I called saying I was on my way and they had another dozen calls on it by the time I got there 20 minutes later in the middle of a weekday. I put a new Baldor 5HP single phase motor on it and gave it to my dad to replace his "Heavy Duty" box store special I wore out.

Depends...

If it has a rusty old tank that you'd be afraid to use, a 3-phase motor for which you have no 3-phase power, and a worn out pump, $200 is fair. But, you'll have a lot more into it before it's a decent system.

OTOH, if the tank is good, you have 3-phase power (or the motor is single phase), and the pump is in decent shape, you stole it...
Lots has been written on Quincy pumps on this forum. They're very well made.

Yes, the tank looks pretty old....but luckily I have a tank off of a newer 60gal compressor that I can get cheap. The motor is 220v single phase, not sure why it's got a 7.5hp motor....I guess I could always put a 3 or 5 hp on there. The guy said it runs good, pumps up fast, and holds pressure. Also, I have a buddy who told me to look for an older Quincy also rebuilds them in his spare time...so apparently he knows all about them. So hopefully for $200 I should be able to get a in e compressor, and turn it into an awesome compressor for not much extra money.

..but only at the expense of compressor life. The QR 325 max rpm is about 900 (check the exact number!). A 5 hp motor is about the sweet-spot for max cfm up to 175psi and 900rpm. A 3hp will need a larger driving pulley to reduce the rpm, and will give you a lower cfm.

If you have power for the 7.5hp, leave it on. It will only develop the power needed, likely 5hp or less if the pulleys are correct (about 2:1).

Well, I picked up that old Quincy 325 compressor on an 80gal horizontal tank and a 7.5hp 1ph 220v motor. The thing has good oil pressure, builds pressure fast, and runs nice and smooth. I think for $200 I got a heck of a deal on it. The thing was a lot bigger than I thought it was going to be. I had to take the pump and motor off of the tank just to get it all in the truck. I bet the pump alone weights 250lbs…probably 100lbs for the motor, and another 200lbs+ for the tank. It’s a beast.

Based off of the numbers on the compressor, it’s from the 60’s. So that means that the tank probably is too. I’m assuming I’ll need to pressure test the tank before I use it………but even if it tests good, how safe is a compressor tank that is over 50 years old? I’m assuming these things were built like tanks….but if safety in a concern, I’ll just find a never used thank and scrap out the old one.

What do you guys think?

By the way…here is what the compressor will look like once I get it all cleaned up and painted….right now it’s pretty nasty looking. If I remember right…it should put out around 24 cfh at 175psi……I don’t think I’ll ever need more air than that.

39099d1318548252-quincy-325-compressor-help-quincy350.jpg

If the tank has been drained regularly it will likely be o.k. My 1998 Quincy is on a 1964 tank and is rock solid. I have a timed drain valve - goes off for a few seconds every hour or so. Tanks don't tend to "explode" anyhow - just start to leak from pin holes. Bad seams or mechanical damage is a different issue.

I have the exact same compressor in your photo. The pump pictured is definitely bigger than a 5hp one. So unless the 325 came in different sizes, yours is not a 5hp 325. Not sure of the pump model number, but my pump is rated for up to 20hp motor. Mine just lopes along when running, very quiet for a piston compressor.

If yours is just like the one above, you stole it, that's for sure.

Well, I picked up that old Quincy 325 compressor on an 80gal horizontal tank and a 7.5hp 1ph 220v motor. The thing has good oil pressure, builds pressure fast, and runs nice and smooth. I think for $200 I got a heck of a deal on it. The thing was a lot bigger than I thought it was going to be. I had to take the pump and motor off of the tank just to get it all in the truck. I bet the pump alone weights 250lbs…probably 100lbs for the motor, and another 200lbs+ for the tank. It’s a beast.

Based off of the numbers on the compressor, it’s from the 60’s. So that means that the tank probably is too. I’m assuming I’ll need to pressure test the tank before I use it………but even if it tests good, how safe is a compressor tank that is over 50 years old? I’m assuming these things were built like tanks….but if safety in a concern, I’ll just find a never used thank and scrap out the old one.

What do you guys think?

By the way…here is what the compressor will look like once I get it all cleaned up and painted….right now it’s pretty nasty looking. If I remember right…it should put out around 24 cfh at 175psi……I don’t think I’ll ever need more air than that.

39099d1318548252-quincy-325-compressor-help-quincy350.jpg

FWIW, the pump on the pictured compressor is a single stage. Look at it closely. (beautiful resto/paint job)
but it is a single stage pump which is designed for lower pressure and higher volume. Most likely 100-120 PSI working pressure. A 2-stage pump usually has the unloader only on 1 cylinder and is rated in displacement by the size of the first stage cylinder only.

Just my $.02 worth

Frank

Yes, you are right. I just used that picture to show a nicely redone Quincy with a horizontal tank.

The one I picked up is a 325 with 7.5hp motor.

FWIW, the pump on the pictured compressor is a single stage. Look at it closely. (beautiful resto/paint job)
but it is a single stage pump which is designed for lower pressure and higher volume. Most likely 100-120 PSI working pressure. A 2-stage pump usually has the unloader only on 1 cylinder and is rated in displacement by the size of the first stage cylinder only.

Just my $.02 worth

Frank

That is a two stage pump. Quincy pumps of this size typically (but there are several variants) have unloader towers on both the high and low pressure cylinders. Smaller Quincy pumps can have it on 1 or both cylinders (and rarely none on 3xx pumps). One of my 310's has an unloader on the high pressure only, the other on both. If the compressor is set up for continuous run (loads up only when pressure switch calls for more air), both unloaders is typical. Also... you can see the interstage cooler looped near the FW.

I have a 325 and it only has 1 unloader what is the need for 2of them also this unit was totally rebuilt and never run in 10 years so I have inspected it and all is good now what oil should I use in this compressor?
Thanks,
Al

I have a 325 and it only has 1 unloader what is the need for 2of them also this unit was totally rebuilt and never run in 10 years so I have inspected it and all is good now what oil should I use in this compressor?
Thanks,
Al

Quincy sells fancy oil if you want it. I have run 15/40 diesel oil in mine for the last 8 years.

I've been looking for an air compressor for my shop for a while now. I had pretty much settled on a 220v 60gal vertical tank compressor from Home Dept.....when a buddy of mine tells me that I need to try to find an older Quincey air compressor. Well, I looked around....and I found a guy on Craigslist selling an "industrial air compressor" for $600. I email the ad to my buddy and ask him if it's a good deal....he calls me back and tell me that it's got a Quincy 325 pump on that compressor, and that I need to buy it ASAP. He said that hose are some of the best compressor pumps that have ever been made.

So I shot the guy an offer for $200...and he took it. Sounds like I got a hell of a deal for an air compressor. It's got a horizontal tank, 7.5hp motor, and a Quincy 325 that's in good shape. The guy says it runs good, and pumps up to 175psi without any issues.

So....can someone tell me more about these compressors? Why are they so good? Did I get a good deal?? Any more info would be great!

Thanks

I have a QT-15 Horizontal tank bought about 1995 still going strong, other than the tank
developed leaking pin holes 5 or so years ago on the bottom of the tank.
So you have that to look forward too.:D

Thanks,
Al

You would use two unloaders (one one each of the high and low pressure cylinders) if you run it in continuous mode... the pump runs and loads and unloads as required. For stop/start operation on a compressor of this size you can get away with one.

Look in the Quincy manual (you can get it online). The oil you use depends of the temperature. If your compressor is "inside" and/or not subject to freezing, Quincy recommends 30 SAE (ISO 100) non-detergent hydraulic oil. Outside low temperatures -down as low as 10 SAE.

Back