What's new
What's new

Electric motor C face-to-foot mount adapter?

dkmc

Diamond
I have a footless C face motor I need to mount with foot type mounting.
Is there such a thing as an adapter that bolts to the C face (of a c face motor) and provides a foot type mounting?

OR- could I weld a foot on a complete and assembled motor (without smoking the windings)....???

dk

I would not recommend welding to the case of an assembled motor.

I think you can machine a ring and a plate and graft these together at 90 degree angles, strong welds and gussets there.

That's the best solution I had, not sure if this design is available for purchase "off-the-shelf" so to speak.

I had an experience that makes me skeptical that this is a good idea. I have a lathe that uses a 3 hp TEFC motor. I am not sure what happened to the original motor, but when I got the lathe, the motor was mounted on a really beefy right angle bracket. The purpose of the bracket was to position the electrical box on the motor so it would face out - the only direction where there was space. Stiff though this bracket was, it contributed greatly to vibration. I bought another motor that was able to mount directly to the lathe without a bracket and Oh what a difference it made. Much smoother operation. So I would guess that a C-face adapter would have the same or greater problem with vibration. I know motors are expensive - but here is a link for some reasonable motors...

http://www.surpluscenter.com/

I have no affilation - just a happy customer.

Well, I went for it.......the new "footless" motor is a zero dollar investment, so can't justify buying one with a foot, and didn't really risk much if it cooked the wires. Although there are no wires in the outer limits of the case anyway. Cutting the foot mount off the old motor was the worst of it. MIG welded it on the brandy-new motor and it works fine. A bit-o gray touch up paint on the burned paint, and no-one-is-the-wiser....

dk

Back