What's new
What's new

Valenite Vari-set boring bar feedback wanted

A real on topic; no doom, no gloom post.

I have a project that will require boring a number of cylinders in aluminum engine blocks. These blocks are high silica and the material removed in each bore will be from 5-11mm. I have a large boring head, uses 3/4" diameter bars but, I have seen several of these Valenite double head set ups and wonder how well they work in comparison to a single point tool? They have much more rigidity and I can see them taking bigger bites. The machine they will run on is not the most powerful thing with a 50 taper at a mere 5 HP so low HP performance is also a big ?

Steve

Although I've no experience of these heads, the cats for similar systems over here say twins cutters for roughing, single for finishing, ......which makes sense to me, so it depends on what sort of accuracy is required.

Suggestion, for low quantity make a couple of fixed size bars like the cyl boring m/c 's use, one for rough one for finish,....... you've got room to get a big bar in there so think slot across end and tipped tool holder clamped, once set you're away.

FYI you can get H&G tapers with ''green stock'' blanks for making your own tooling, 1 cat to hand shows 50taper with 50mm & 80mm dia blanks about 300 long.

Back