What's new
What's new

Emco V10P

clarnibass

Aluminum
Hi

I've been checking the local 2nd hand websites for the last couple of years and finally a lathe that fits me came along... an Emco V10P. It actually doesn't fit here, but if I reorganize the space as much as possible then it does... just barely.

I'm not sure if there are any similar size/weight lathes, new or used, that would fit. A new Wabeco would but in spite of many very good reviews I see more than a few bad too (mainly electronic parts need replacing... expensive once the warranty expires). It has the very nice cam-lock, but no auto gear box (though that has a twist on the Emco, and a nice bonus rather than a critical feature).

This V10P has a weird combination of metric tail, compound and cross slide, with inch gearbox and lead screw. Apparently that was common in my country because... who knows.
It's supposedly in as good condition as you could expect, except a never used one. Bought new by someone who worked only on plastic and wood, nothing heavy duty (for its size), then bought by the current owner which used it very little.

It has the milling column which I'm not sure I'd use, but maybe.
It's originally 3-phase (which I have here) but was converted to 1-phase with a VFD and using the gears is possible (I think). There's a problem using it with the original 3-phase.
It comes with a 3-jaw chuck (inside and outside jaws), steady rest, milling column, inch and metric change gears, several QC tool holders.
"Slow" 3-nut chuck mount.
Inch QCGB is not that far from not having one since I do 90% metric threads, but I do 90% of those with dies anyway :)

To give an idea of what I do, usually light duty with wood, plastic, brass. Occasionally steel and silver steel, usually small diameters and cuts. I use almost only HSS tools and occasionally brzed carbide. I don't use insert tools at all. The lathe is important for my work but I use it very little, maybe a few hours a week on average, usually less (some weeks I don't use it at all).

The price is very high, but a few hundreds less than a Wabeco lathe without the cam-lock chuck or any accessories and before shipping and 20% VAT...

Should I run... towards it? Away from it? Is there any other model that is even similar?

Thanks!

I don't know much about that model but I did use a V13 for years at my last job. It was used and abused by anyone who thought they knew how to use it. Never 1 problem in 15 years I was around it. Surprisingly accurate as well. It still runs great and is getting the shit run out of it 10 years later. It's not hard to convert it to cut metric threads.

Should I run... towards it? Away from it? Is there any other model that is even similar?

Thanks!

IIRC there's a problem with some plastic/fibre gears in the gear train to the QCGB on that model but that's the only weakness I know about. I wouldn't regard it as a show-stopper.

I have the later and slightly bigger Emco Maximat 11 and I quite like it. It's a very nicely made, relatively lightweight lathe capable of fine accuracy. Mine is a 2 owner model, the first owner buying it to build one live steam locomotive when he retired. I don't ever plan on parting with mine.

The 3 bolt chuck mount is a bit of a PITA but not all that bad. Generally I have a 6" 4 jaw chuck (genuine Emco) mounted and rarely swap it for anything else. At least you can plug-reverse the machine without the chuck unscrewing.

As for the 3 phase/single phase issue, the later Maximat 11 machines are *all* 3 phase according to the manual. The single phase models have a couple extra capacitors to fake the 3 phase, but the motor is still 3 phase. Mine is single phase and it annoys me so one of these days I'm going to change the wiring over and feed it 3 phase. A VFD isn't a bad idea at all.

If the machine really is in top shape and has a decent amount of accessories, buy it. Really good quality small lathes are at somewhat of a premium these days.

PDW

Another very happy Emco Super 11 owner here, any machine has it's little quirks but from what I've read anything Emco made was very good. The V10P would be a good fit for your instrument repair business I'd think.

Specs in case you haven't found them already: http://www.lathes.co.uk/emco/page4.html

As mentioned the fibre gears and selector forks are weak, I'd check those. Apparently aftermarket parts are available.

If you don't have a stand alone mill I bet you're using that milling attachment before you know it.

What accessories come with it? They can be hard to find and a bit pricey depending on supply.

Care to tell us the asking price (in US dollars)?

ps: See you've found the Yahoo site, lot's of good info there...

Exchange rate can vary but it's about $3,300 + 18% VAT.
It has a VFD, milling column, inch banjo, metric banjo, all change gears, non-original steady rest (fitted from a different model Emco lathe), original 3-jaw chuck, QCTP.

I loved both my V10p's

The fiber gears are in the headstock not the QCGB; they get beaten up by changing gears without stopping the spindle. Spares are easily obtainable (if required) from lathes.uk.

It has a VFD, milling column, inch banjo, metric banjo, all change gears, non-original steady rest (fitted from a different model Emco lathe), original 3-jaw chuck, QCTP.

From what I've seen on FleeBay if this is one in good shape that sounds like a very fair price.

Here's a beat up rusted one for almost that price: Emco Maximat V1 P Lathe Mill Vertical Milling Drilling Attachment Maximat 7 | eBay

What's a "banjo"?

From what I've seen on FleeBay if this is one in good shape that sounds like a very fair price.

What's a "banjo"?
I think they vary a lot. One on lathes.co.uk with more accessories and a stand is selling for almost half, but without the milling column. Looks like worse condition too. It's not a great price but I think it's ok and considering it's (hopefully) a long term investment a bit more or less isn't a deal breaker.

A banjo is how we call the part that the change gears go onto. I think it has different names depending on country/area.

Anyway I will probably be able to go see it sometimes next week. I just wanted to make sure it's worth going to check out.

Last edited:

I paid about that for my Maximat 11 16 years ago and it didn't have the milling head. More chucks and other bits though. Price sounds pretty reasonable to me. I'd advise taking a close look and, if you like it's condition, buy it.

PDW

I have one V10P left, other one went to a friend.
I did a complete overall on mine when I put up shop 16 yrs ago.
There are two fibre gears in the headstock and mine is still running on the originals. they had some damage when I got it, but I deemed it serviceable and they still work.
The lathe is fitted with a 2 speed motor. You start the machine in low speed and then press the high speed button to move to the high range. Pressing the button removes power from the motor temporarily. When going from high to low, the motor is forced from high to low and I suspect this to be a contributing factor to problems with the fibre gears.

Other than that, they are real sweet machines. Not for hogging metal, but in a home shop or for light work, you can do much worse.

Hi

I looked at it and it seemed good but it was last minute, so in a few days I'm going there again and if there isn't a major issue I'll probably buy it.

Zoeper, I think this one is a little different because it was converted to work with a VFD.

Lakeside or anyone else with a V10P (the P model, not V10), can you check the distance between the bases and the distance from the end of the bases? Also, are there holes for bolting the lathe to the stand? I'm trying to get at least a rough idea of these measurements before I go there again and for some reason these are not in the manual.

Thanks again!

Thanks though I just found out that the mounting holes and pattern vary enough that I really have to measure the specific lathe and not rely on measurements from another V10P. I was hoping to get the stand built a few days earlier but I'll just wait a bit longer.

Thanks though I just found out that the mounting holes and pattern vary enough that I really have to measure the specific lathe and not rely on measurements from another V10P. I was hoping to get the stand built a few days earlier but I'll just wait a bit longer.

There's only one bed/base for the V10P. There's two "slots" on the casting for the securing bolts.

You might try to contact "wrench" here on PM. He had a V10P when I was at his house and he knew quite a bit about them. Seems he was going to try and get it going with LinuxCNC (EMC2). I'm not sure if his was working or not.

Back