What's new
What's new

Roller chain guard / guide

Madis Reivik

Hot Rolled
I'm designing a guard / guide for roller chain. It has no direct contact with chain in normal conditions, its more like protective block to avoid jumping in vibration conditions.
Is aluminium a good choice of materials or can it be abrasive in some circumstances ?

Depending on the stiffness required, UHMW polyethylene makes a nice guide.

A few years ago, I overhauled a toolchanger with a chain magazine that ran the chain on steel guides. When the changer had a 24 tool load, the motor sometimes would fault out on overload. I replaced the guides with UHMW, end of problem.

Aluminum works well is situations such as this. Commonly used on motorcycles

Attachments

• case saver.jpg
    case saver.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 1,043
No aluminium works crap, UHMW will last darn near forever, but because its not billet bikers won't buy it!

No aluminium works crap, UHMW will last darn near forever, but because its not billet bikers won't buy it!

A big +1.

The nice looking aluminum do-dad pictured on the motorcycle sprocket is a 'bling' consumable, which it's meant to be. In an industrial situation, you design your machinery to last forever...if possible.:)

Stuart

Seems logical. Since the part is quite big and must have some threaded holes and self-supporting strength, I think I make the body from aluminium and put about 20mm PE on wear side.

many automotive timing chain setups use umhw or something like that for tensioners.
the load on the chain is quite substantial,and generally stand up to +100,000 miles of wear and tear.
the wood conveyor at work,uses a teflon strip as a guide,wearbar.thats on 160 roller chain that runs for long periods of time.
i wouldnt even consider aluminum.i'd use oil soaked oak before that.which was used widely in the good 'ol days.

It has no direct contact with chain in normal conditions, its more like protective block to avoid jumping in vibration conditions.

Pic displayed is perfect for the application. Plus is readily available anywhere. I agree UHMW is better for sustained friction, but that's not what hes asking for.

Back