What's new
What's new

Episode 3 of Clickspring's Antikythera mechanismhas been posted on YouTube

Forrest Addy

Diamond
What can I say? Chris - Clickspring - does marvelous work

Antikythera Episode 3 - The Plates And Main Bearing. - YouTube

The Antikythera Mechanism is worth looking into. It's a geared calculator of the paths of heavenly bodies operated by a hand crank and it's been dated to the ancient Greeks. Whoever made it thousands of years ago was a bona-fide genius IMO.

There's been Nova episodes, Scientific American articles, and dozens of scholarly papers, plus any number of probes into its construction, function, and operation so there's no lack of information on-line and in libraries. Google it and be amazed.

Clickspring has bitten off a hell of a chunk making a working replica of the Antikythera Mechanism but if anyone can do it, he can. And it looks to me as though hes off to a helllova start. I'm looking forward to the next episodes of his build.

None of which has anything to do with Manufacturing. Take that shit down to H.S.M Those bloke's might like licking your boots.

It has no place here. Surely you see this every time you log in?

Practical Machinist - Largest Manufacturing Technology Forum on the Web

You're absolutely right. Yep. Right as rain. You spotted that right off the bat. A lesser man might reflect a moment about ancient genius and its influence on modern mechanisms but not Machtool. Mr target fixation goes for the throat every time.

You're absolutely right. Yep. Right as rain. You spotted that right off the bat. A lesser man might reflect a moment about ancient genius and its influence on modern mechanisms but not Machtool. Mr target fixation goes for the throat every time.

Be fair. Not "every" time.

Phil just has a seriously weird menstrual cycle, so it isn't even as predictable as every 28 days he gets the urge to shit in the community cornflakes as an 'attention bid'.

In between? He can be thoughtful, and quite helpful.

Gots to deal with 'averages', sometimes. Can't boil the Southern Ocean, after all.

Actually you can learn a lot from this Clickspring guy about how things are done with different metals. Mostly techniques and layout/planning.
Looking forward to all new vids from him.

All that work just to make a wedding cake stand? :D What's wrong with all thread rod, nuts and spacers made out of thread spools? :D

I've had the pleasure of seeing the mechanism twice in the museum in Athens. It is worth noting that the device as it now exists is broken up into more than one piece, and all of the pieces are heavily corroded into more-or-less solid lumps, and there is every likelihood that all of the pieces that have been found do not represent the entire original mechanism. Of course, they have made all sorts of x-rays (and maybe MRI's or who-knows-what imaging techniques), and many of these are displayed in the museum as well, along with all sorts of analyses of how it might or might not work. Also displayed are all sorts of models that attempt to recreate what the original looked like and how it functioned ... many of which are strikingly different from one another. In fact, there apparently is a fair bit of disagreement about exactly what the mechanism was intended to achieve - something having to do with astronomical calculations in all likelihood, but was that for the sake of navigation, or prediction, or ?? And did the mechanism even work when it was complete and functional - or was it a prototype that failed?

All that to say, 1) Clickspring won't be the first, nor will he be the last, to try to recreate it, and 2) any attempt to recreate it is based on a good bit of guesswork (or, if you want to make it sound more scientific, extrapolation and interpretation). But 3) none of the above takes away from the incredible intricacy of the mechanism and the fascination of looking at it. If nothing else, it does encourage a bit of humility about what the ancients could and could not do, sadly lacking as they were in even the most basic of machine tools and calculators and so on. :)

Attached are pictures of the pieces of the mechanism on display. The next post will show some of the many different models that have been made.
IMG_1833.JPG
IMG_1834.JPG
IMG_1853.JPG
IMG_1854.JPG
IMG_1855.JPG

Here are pictures of some of the many different models/recreations that have been made:

IMG_1843.JPG
IMG_1844.JPG
IMG_1845.JPG
IMG_1848.JPG

And one more picture that I think is so fascinating - this statue came out of the same wreck, and it shows vividly the difference between items that were buried in the sand/mud of the seabed, and thus were protected, vs. the parts that were above the seabed, and thus were worn and pitted.

IMG_1826.JPG

Here are pictures of some of the many different models/recreations that have been made:

View attachment 197742
View attachment 197743
View attachment 197744
View attachment 197745

And one more picture that I think is so fascinating - this statue came out of the same wreck, and it shows vividly the difference between items that were buried in the sand/mud of the seabed, and thus were protected, vs. the parts that were above the seabed, and thus were worn and pitted.

View attachment 197746

Y'know normally I hate getting sand in my drawers, but he could have used some, poor fellow!

As far as the CNC comment - for a single item it would make zero sense.

An hour, John? That looks like a part we might have put a first year apprentice on. Really, you must be getting slow in your old age. You really ought to retire, haha! And I've spent a little time in a few machine shops, yes. I don't really feel the need to describe my accomplishments or belittle yours (I mean, any further...:D ) though. Have a nice day!

I have this image of one guy trying to do his best at oil painting and doing a very good job of it......and another guy coming unglued about taking so long to paint a few square feet when he can do an entire wall in an hour.

You don't really expect one to get the other. The mystery is why it would bother either.

Back