What's new
What's new

ER Collet chuck size Lathe

tcncj

Cast Iron
Hello

I want to use a ER collet holder chuck on my lathe. But I don't know if there is any specific size for my machine?
Would I need a back plate or what's the best option? I'm not very expierenced with lathes or metalworking in general.

zyfKgWx.jpg

This is my three jaw chuck.
Chuck is mounted on the machine with 3 bolts.
Bolt spacing is +/- 90mm or 91mm
iUOO1bg.jpg

Do you mean 5c,not ER collet? 5c is common on lathes, not so sure about ER (in the spindle anyways). I've used a off brand lathe that had an adapter that went into the spindle nose(?) for 5 c collets. You took that out to mount the chuck. Sorry i can't be more specific as I don't know nay brands or names for what you need. :o Also, list the name, size, and spindle adapter/configuration for better answers.

I'd say that a HIGH SPEED lathe would be the most important need for using collets that hold small diameter items. My HLVH only goes up to 3000 RPM. But,5C collets go all the way down to 1/64" ! Kind of silly. You need a high speed jeweler's lathe for sizes like that. Monarch 10EE does 4000 RPM. I wish I had that extra speed as I do lots of small work. But,I have done turnings 24" in diameter in the gap of my 16" lathe. Fortunately,that job was in hard maple for hammering a silver tray.

Let's back up here a minute...

That spindle nose, search around for the standard spindle nose dimensions,
find out which one yours is.

Then, search the workholding suppliers for collet holders that fit your spindle nose, report back here.

I don't know for sure, but that LOOKS like an A-style spindle, possibly A2-6. If so, you should be able to find a 5C chuck for it, in fact probably pneumatic if so desired. I would recommend a 5C collet, by the way... that way you actually get 1"+ through the chuck.

Now, the other option, perhaps there is an ER40 or ER50 chuck out there that you could hack apart and modify to fit your lathe. Perhaps a "blank" chuck back plate to fit your spindle could be acquired and modified to fit this other chuck.

I have also seen ER chucks with Morse taper shanks. If your spindle has a Morse taper, perhaps you could go that route.

HINT / warning IMO ER make lousy lathe collets, they're far too slow changing parts and are no match for a proper late collet such as 5C.

They've grown in popularity due to the amateur home shop market, as in ''use them in the lathe as well'' .....but as a lathe workholding collet? NO THANK YOU.

YMMV

PS you can buy them as a backplate type ER Lathe Collet Chucks - Arc Euro Trade

Thanks for all the replies
Ok so no ER collet chuck/plate then.
5C would be better.

I'm going to search if there is a chuck available for this size :)

Depends on what you are doing.

A 5C collet only holds the size material the collet is made for.

ER collets hold any material within the collets range.

5C you can get shapes other then round like square or hex.

5C is better but far more expensive to tool up for properly.

Anyone can confirm the size of the spindle nose?

There is a taper that's +/- 80mm. Maybe 83mm at the widest position.
So should be a A2-5 spindle nose?
or are there any other things to check for?

70814d1361766811-does-anyone-know-type-spindle-fitting-german-standard.jpg

A look at the column with the 5 on top pretty much confirms :D

Thumbnails may be useful

Attachments

• A and B specs.jpg
    A and B specs.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 1,617
  • A and B more.jpg
    A and B more.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 842
Depends on what you are doing.

A 5C collet only holds the size material the collet is made for.

ER collets hold any material within the collets range.

5C you can get shapes other then round like square or hex.

5C is better but far more expensive to tool up for properly.

I've used an ER40 collet chuck with a 4MT mount in one of my lathes for many years with excellent results. I love the ability to hold varying material sizes without much collet changing. In my experience, and setting your "adapter" issue aside, it's a good less expensive than 5C solution.

I am using the 5C on a Hardinge as well as the rather similar Schaublin collets on a Schaublin lathe. In addition I have a set of ER collets that I am using (with an adapter) on a DeValliere H.140E toolroom lathe. While all are quite accurate (+/- 2 to 4 microns) I find the ER collects very versatile and convenient. The big advantage of ER collets is the ability to hold any size work (within the range of the collet, usually 1mm) over the entire length of the collet. 5c and similar collets are really only one size and must not be used even with slightly over or under size work as the collet contact area is greatly reduced.
5C collets - especially with fast closing attachment - are best for making parts out of standard stock (including round, hex, etc), but for most other work I find the ER very convenient and accurate.
One can consider as well the SK collets.

Back