What's new
What's new

Erickson Quick Change 30 Tooling information

housedad

Aluminum
I recently put a page up on my blog that has information on what manufacturers tooling currently works on the QC30 spindle. I have had my Series II special for a year now, and I found several sources for new tooling.

Erickson Tooling Resource | The Bionic Universe

While I am lucky that my spindle is drilled for a drawbar and that leaves me able to use any NMTB 30 tooling, a lot of others out there have solid spindles.

For many, the market for Erickson QC 30 seems to be drying up and it seems the QC40 or any of the CNC spindles is more popular. However, there are several manufacturers still making some. The problem seems that the distributors are not carrying them for the retail market very much.

Anyway, the blog page has lists of Manufacturers and some distributors That still have the tools available and lists of current part numbers for Bison and APT tooling.

Looks a pretty good list. Would love to find a sensible source for ER16 and ER32 collet chucks but currently there just too expensive, other wise i would love 5 of each. Wonder if thats something we could talk Mari tool into doing sorta a PM bulk buy?

housedad,

Very informative post and well done web site, thank you.

I have a Tree 2UVRC (no draw bar option) with the Erickson 30QC and have struggled to find new holders that were reasonably priced. Thanks to you I now have several places to check out.

I can't seem to access the page you referenced - the bionic universe.
Is it still available?

Thanks,
Joe

Thanks JR - I figured I'd give it a try.

I'm having trouble getting some of my QC-30 holders to work with my spindle. They appear to be the same - the only difference I can see so far is the flange is perhaps 0.005" variation. The thicker one (0.349" vs 0.344") will not allow the nut to close. These are both the same shars part number. I have an R8 to QC-30 adapter and all of the tools fit it (by fit I mean the nut will easily close after you insert the holder).

I don't know if adjusting the nut will help - or if it would make the grip too loose. I have not yet tried that.

The thicker one (0.349" vs 0.344") will not allow the nut to close.

The flange thickness on QC tooling is supposed to be a "qualified" dimension. 0.344" is the correct number. Either return to Shars or face them. An NMTB-30 should fit in your holder, but you might have the same problem with the flange thickness.
JR

I'd like to take the 'face them' route but I'm not sure how to accomplish that. My lathe currently has a problem with the tailstock horizontal alignment - I have not been able to break the top and base of the tailstock apart to align.

That's a simple fix, buy a new lathe. It's only money! :D

Will the tailstock fit in a 5 gallon pail? If so, put it in a pail and soak in diesel for a week. Then try taking everything appart and cleaning.

OK, there's my help. Now, I have to adjust the clutches on my Clausing and don't feel like crawling around on the floor!
JR

Back