What's new
What's new

ESSO Lubricant Equivalents

rgerlach

Aluminum
I picked up a used Myford grinder. It is made in the UK and it calls out a series of lubricants that I am having a problem locating here in the US. These are the items specified in the manual:

ESSO NUTO H36
ESSO NUTO H44
ESSO ESSTIC 55
ESSO Febis K53

Does anyone have a means of crossing these over to some common US products? I am guessing the first two are probably different weights of hydraulic fluid, the second is a grease and the last is a way oil but these are just a guess based on where they go on the machine.

Ron G

ESSO NUTO H36 ~ ISO 15 spindle or hydraulic oil (Mobil Velocite #8)
ESSO NUTO H44 ~ ISO 32 hydraulic oil (Mobil DTE-24)
ESSO ESSTIC 55 ~ ISO 68 hydraulic oil (Mobil DTE-26)
ESSO Febis K53 ~ ISO medium way lube (Mobil Vactra #2)

All but the Velocite #8 you can purchase in 1 gallon containers. IIRC, #8 is only available in 5s.
On 2nd though, maybe one of the other Myford users will come on and say they use something different. I'm giving you what I show to be direct replacements. If mine, I would probably change the spindle oil to Velocite #10 if I wasn't using every day. You can buy #10 in 1 gallon containers.
JR

You can also mix Velocite #6 and #10 to get what you want. This is called vis blending, and is what they do at the refinery. There are formulas on the web telling how to get the mix ratios. I think it goes as the logarithm of the viscosity in cS, but confirm. 50:50 is probably good enough.

I picked up a used Myford grinder. It is made in the UK and it calls out a series of lubricants that I am having a problem locating here in the US. These are the items specified in the manual:

ESSO NUTO H36
ESSO NUTO H44
ESSO ESSTIC 55
ESSO Febis K53

Does anyone have a means of crossing these over to some common US products? I am guessing the first two are probably different weights of hydraulic fluid, the second is a grease and the last is a way oil but these are just a guess based on where they go on the machine.

Ron G

Don't "guess". The major makers provide cross-refrence information. Their major distributors get the question so often they publish search tools online. So do competitors, great or wannabee blenders, re-refiners, teapot refiners, blender-labelers and hose thieves- wotever.
Caveat reader.

Even so, a grinder maker may have selected a given product for one or more edge-case or minority attributes among its several.

NUTO is one of those possible cases.

Some cross refs are one-to-one products. However, it also shows up cross-ref'ed to two oils some of us are aware are not the same: -

Mobil DTE numbered::Mobile DTE-named,

Chevron Turbine::Chevron EP Hydraulic.

Wise to research further.

Best to see if the Myford left any footprints out in the world as to their own preferences as to cross ref.. perhaps advice to another owner, and many years ago.

And finally... if you haven't the time .... or paranoia?

What JR listed is very unlikely to harm anything.

Another place and time, those might have been Myford's OWN suggestions.

:)

Maybe for you Bill, but I've got more material from the lube schools I've been to than just a couple of viscosity charts.
JR

APPLY that lore and "show your work", then.

Take the time to match what you know to the specific needs of the Myford and say whyso.

DTE 24 and DTE Light are different critters. Some sources cross ref NUTO to BOTH.

Which one is appropriate depends on what and where Myford used that lube. What FOR, IOW.

I don't know. I don't NEED to know which one HE needs.

He might.

ESSO is/was Exxon. You find equivalents using that.

ESSO is still in use as one of Exxon/Mobil's global brands. Products with that name are not necessarily old or obsolete ones in all cases.

That may have had to do with national grants of charters, licensing, preservation of trade mark rights, etc.

Cable & Wireless still had to operate as "Eastern Telegraph" and variations, some parts of the world, a hundred years after previous name-changes, same reasons.

Hey Guys, thanks for the feedback. I did get some other info today. A guy by the name of Andrew Pope of Jubilee Machine Tools in the UK responded about the NUTO fluids. He says they use Mobile Velocite #3 in place of NUTO H44 in the Wheel Spindle which is the high speed guy and they use Velocite #10 in place of the NUTO H36 in the Work Spindle which is a much slower spindle. These are the two that I was most concerned about.

I did find some references to the Febis product as being a way oil and this is what the manual advises for the ways so that makes sense. This also matches JR's suggestion of Vactra #2. The only remaining question is the ESSTIC 55 which is advised for all the misc hand cranked knobs, feed screw, tailstock etc. There was grease in a few of the locations I opened up so I am leaning towards a general purpose grease for this. But I am open for any more insights.

The only remaining question is the ESSTIC 55 which is advised for all the misc hand cranked knobs, feed screw, tailstock etc. There was grease in a few of the locations I opened up so I am leaning towards a general purpose grease for this. But I am open for any more insights.

Some guy in Iowa covered ESSTIC 55 for us back when he was less grouchy:

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/v...-gearbox-lube-183022-post1138425/#post1138425

My other info source being in India - or a Russian lab - who agree viscosity and that it is a gear lube by general classification, but cross-ref to local products one can only HOPE are not in the UK market.. we'd best stop there...

:)

DTE numbered series has anti-wear (AW) additives where the DTE named series does not. IOW, numbered is a better oil than named.
No argument. "Better" for ths purpose, given that YOU knew the Myford grinder had positive-pressure pumped circulation and filter for detergent oil.

I did not know that.

Numbered has the detergents to keep particles in suspension 'til they are pumped to that filter.

"Named" does not have detergents.

That allows particulates to settle to the bottom of the sump(s). It is for equipment that does NOT have positive pressure lubrication or active filtering.

"Named" is the "better" oil for Monarch 10EE spindle bearings. New ones are not cheap.

Hey Guys, thanks for the feedback. I did get some other info today. A guy by the name of Andrew Pope of Jubilee Machine Tools in the UK responded about the NUTO fluids. He says they use Mobile Velocite #3 in place of NUTO H44 in the Wheel Spindle which is the high speed guy and they use Velocite #10 in place of the NUTO H36 in the Work Spindle which is a much slower spindle. These are the two that I was most concerned about.

I did find some references to the Febis product as being a way oil and this is what the manual advises for the ways so that makes sense. This also matches JR's suggestion of Vactra #2. The only remaining question is the ESSTIC 55 which is advised for all the misc hand cranked knobs, feed screw, tailstock etc. There was grease in a few of the locations I opened up so I am leaning towards a general purpose grease for this. But I am open for any more insights.

It is quite rare for machine tools, especially manual machines, to use grease anywhere. Grease holds dirt and becomes a grinding compound. Oil flushes the dirt away. I would not use any kind of grease on that machine.

He says they use Mobile Velocite #3 in place of NUTO H44 in the Wheel Spindle which is the high speed

I would seriously question that. Velocite #3 has an ISO viscosity of 2. What is the spindle RPM? An ISO 10 spindle oil is good for about 6K RPM. There are a lot of 3,600 RPM grinders that use Velocite #10 (ISO 22) in them.

As for the Esstic 55, it was an oil. I've got conflicting info as to what exact viscosity it is. For what they're having you use it on, how about plain old way lube?

You can use whatever you want. Mobil products are probably the best at selling smaller quantities. Anymore, 5 gal pails get expensive. Lube oils aren't as cheap as they used to be, but nothing else is either.
JR

I would seriously question that. Velocite #3 has an ISO viscosity of 2. What is the spindle RPM? An ISO 10 spindle oil is good for about 6K RPM. There are a lot of 3,600 RPM grinders that use Velocite #10 (ISO 22) in them.

The spindle speed is actually under 2000 RPM but it uses a 12" wheel so the surface speed is up there. The spindle is a unique design (at least to me it is). The rear end (pulley drive side) has back to back angular contacts bearings which is conventional. The front (wheel end) has a cone shaped section that sits in a stationary cone. The fluid is pumped into the small gap between the two cones presumably to keep everything centered without any vibration.

Back