What's new
What's new

Source of sticky weatherstrip like used in autos..

Milacron

Administrator
Staff member
As I recall it comes in a box of short black "ropes" , maybe 1/4 or less diameter, and you pull each one out and press it in place kinda like Playdough except stickier...

(I've already posted about this once before a year or two back but can't find my old post ! :dopeslap: )

I've always known it as Bear S&%T, don't know the proper name. At the truck shop I work at we get it in a 2" wide roll. Use it anywhere wires pass to the outside of the truck, such as firewall. I know we buy it from Carquest or NAPA though.

I'll check tonight and see if I can see a name on the roll at all.

JP

As I recall it comes in a box of short black "ropes" , maybe 1/4 or less diameter, and you pull each one out and press it in place kinda like Playdough except stickier...

(I've already posted about this once before a year or two back but can't find my old post ! :dopeslap: )

The sticky black rope stuff is old school auto glass bedding compound.

Now a days that's been replaced with a more flexible and less grumpy version that comes in a caulking tube.

3M and Sika both make good versions of it. Gotta work fast though once it's out of the tube, you have like 5-7 mins to stick down whatever you're sealing, or it'll skin over and you've gotta scrape it off and start again.

If you're really looking for adhesive backed foam weatherstripping (though from your description I can't imagine you'd confuse the two), you can look in a JC Whitney catalog for the generic automobile specific stuff, or you can look in the Dynamic Fastener catalog for the building construction specific stuff. The crap you find at Lowes or any local hardware store is likely to just end up wasting your money and your time.

BTW, love all the new smilies (is that even a word? :skep: ). The willy nilly guy makes me chuckle every time I see him. I can so relate: :willy_nilly:

Dum-Dum

Down here it's called "dum-dum" and is used to wrap wires, tubes, and pipes going through the fire wall, for instance. I have about 25 feet of it your welcome to have, if you can't find any locally at the auto parts store. It's old (everything I've got is old) and so has lost some of the volatiles and elastricity. Some call me Carlos

It's actually made by 3M, called "Strip-Calk" (3M's spelling), part #8578. Mine's older, part number might have a zero in front of it now.

Just got back from Lowes Home Impv. and they have an area about 6' high by 8' wide that is just weather strip material. From the spongy self stick in different sizes to a "D" shaped stuff with a 10 year warranty. Rope sponge too.

Thanks folks, 3M Strip Caulk is exactly what I was thinking of, just didn't know what to call it.

The stuff is "Butyl or Butyle".

(I werked in a winder factory for a short time many many moons ago.)

-----

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Bought a box of 3M strip caulk at NAPA yesterday. Funny that the box was really dusty... sales dude couldn't remember ever selling any before.

Still seems "fresh" though...nice and sticky. Worked as planned for purpose..which was filling gaps between LCD monitor and enclosure on CRT to LCD transplant on CNC Bridgeport.

Milicron.....

I got it from my local Chevy dealer. 3M product. Used to seal around the A/C and heater pipes going through the firewall......pg

3MStripCalk.jpg

I've also heard monkey poop.

But that's usually the brick form. I've also seen it refered to a rope caulk, silly putty caulk, and vairious animal excriment! That's so funny how many names ther are for that stuff, all variants of POOP! :ack2:

Funny that the box was really dusty... sales dude couldn't remember ever selling any before.

Not surprising at all. Most of the rest of the world uses RTV silicone for all their sealing needs now. Of course, it doesn't work worth a damn for anything, but people keep on buying it and trying to use it in places where they oughta use gasket sealer, gaskets, butyl caulk, urethane caulk, the strip caulk you bought, and probably 20 other products, all of which would do a better job for their intended purpose than RTV. That crap and superglue have got to be two of the most misused products in the world today.

Back