What's new
What's new

how cheap can i get

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stuca

Plastic
I am in the process of buying new lathe tooling, and am trying to save money. There are many novice machinist working in my shop and the tools that i buy will need to last a long time in there hands in unfavorable conditions. I have found a company called tmx tooling technologies that sells indexable tool holders for half the prices that i have seen. so my question is this is a $50 steel boring bar the same as a $100 steel boring bar or if i take the cheap rout will i regret it in the long run?

If you are in business to make money, then buy the tools which will make the job better, easier, and give faster results. You want to have tools which will help the machinist the most. That means you will get the best results from what you pay him. All the money that comes into a machine shop comes through the machinist's hands first.

But, if you are in business to save money buy the cheapest junk you can find.

This is harsh but true.

Regards,

Stanley Dornfeld

Insert tooling is not cheap, especially in the hands of novices. You can regrind tools for less than the cost of new inserts.

In any case, buying surplus and used stuff is cheaper than new retail.

Larry

I do believe Toolmex is the company that imports TMX and also Bison, they're somewhere in MA.

I would suggest getting hold of ExKenna on this site, he sells TMX stuff and also non-branded Kennametal holders. He got 2 top notch holders for me for around the price of single Kennametal branded holder at the 35% off MSC price.

No affiliation, he's just hooked me up really well and saved me a lot of money on some very good toys.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back