What's new
What's new

question about hydraulic oils

77ironhead

Titanium
is there any difference in the oil used in powered hydraulic systems and the oil used in manual systems (thinking bottle jacks in H-frame presses, floor jacks, etc)...it'd be nice to be able to keep one type in my stock cabinet instead of 2 or 3

I think I'd use about any oil in a hydraulic bottle jack.

Really, the only consideration is that it doesn't rot the seals, IMHO. And since its setup for petroleum oils to start with...that shouldn't really be a problem.

I would not think you would have a problem using powered hydraulic oil in a bottle jack but reversing the situation, I was always told there are anti-foaming agents in the powered oil which may not be in manual jack oil?

I have never had problems running any kind of clean oil in manual jacks, as long as it isn't too viscous. Basic "R&O" hydraulic oil is just fine. ATF works too, and so does motor oil if nothing else is handy. I have jacks working fine that still have the same random ATF or other oil I put in them 20 or more years ago.

Are you asking about air over pumps vs hand operated jacks, or are you asking about motorized pumping equipment, like a Hydroshift or somesuch?

Motorized equipment uses something like Modil DTE 24 or 26. Anti foam, good lubricity, formulated to not eat seals.

As above, for a bottle jack, floor jack, many oils will "do the trick", but you have to make sure it doesn't gel , or near gel in cool weather. If viscosity is too high the pump might not charge. Cavitates, if you can call hand strokes with no makeup cavitation.

Cheers,

George

Back