What's new
What's new

OT:Glazed brake bands

Sophiedoc

Cast Iron
I am trying to get better brakes on an old Allis Chalmers XT with over 4000 hrs on odometer.On one side diesel fuel from sediment bowl leak got on the disc drum brake combo and I am working this out.On the other side the bands are glazed which I think is the problem but my mechanic friend feels the discolored rotating drum(pigeon blue from overheating presumably from someone trying to burn off oil by standing on the brakes) is too slick because of the heat treatment it received?I thought knocking off the glaze with a rope wire wheel would help or is this a waste of time?(There is no oil leak on this side.) Any ideas on how to proceed since the bands and disc facings are still pretty good?

If they're ''asbestos type'' linings and rivetted on, I've had good results with oil soaked linings by boiling them in strong clothes washing detergent.

Bonded linings;- all bets are off.

Drums & discs, if they're not grooved, rough up the surface with 80grit paper, badly grooved and it could be reface time.

I have soaked bonded brake shoes In gasoline, scrubbed the face with a floor scrub brush. Dry in sun. Cut the glaze with 80 grit sandpaper by hand.

Don't breathe the asbestos dust.

Brake drums & disks, grooved or not, sand with 80 grit.

All of the above on 60s & 70s vintage pick ups and vans. "Work Trucks"

Paul

I have salvaged lots of oil soaked linings. A long soak in any good solvent works well. Sometimes I have sealed up really bad ones in a container of solvent and left them for a week. The quickest method is a vapor degreaser. The clutch on my '40 Indian Junior Scout is a dry one ( the 45 cu in Scout and Chief clutches are wet ), and engine oil gets on it all the time. It doesn't slip, but the plates stick together and make the gears grind. Half an hour in a vapor degreaser using perchlorethylene removes every trace of oil.

Bill

Back