Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Fabricating a small dozer and looking for supplies

Jeremy is online now Hot Rolled

Are cast iron sprockets for the chains going to wear better than steel considering the fact that they will be in dirt?

MaximumBob is offline Plastic

Jeremy - looks like you found the proper chain - where did the catalog page come from?

thanks,

Murf is offline Cast Iron

Jeremy,

We just threw away a brand new set of rubber tracks for our mini skid steer, the slopes we were working on were killing us with this new set of tracks (kept throwing them off). Our oem set lasted us almost a thousand hours but of course were more than twice as much as an aftermarket set, so of course we tried to go cheap (get what you pay for). After throwing a track about six times we ended up buying the good ones and just tossed the cheap ones a couple of weeks ago. Wish I had'nt thrown them away, you could of had them for shipping.
    Sorry for the long story, just had to tell somebody. It never fails, when you have something, you can't give it away and then as soon as you toss it, Well........

Murf

sicero is offline Stainless

If I was going to do this, I would buy a Davis 300 trencher and steal the parts. Preferably a real old one since they have the blade mounted just like a dozer, half way back on the side. Don't buy a 200 as they have a crappy drive. The 300 has a cast iron differential with the track release turning brakes all in one unit. Everything runs hydralic. I have one that is fully operational I would sell for $1000 so you should be able to find one for less for the parts you need.

Jeremy is online now Hot Rolled

After further research, it looks like what Struck calls the "Medium duty tracks" are indeed made with the links that you knock together with a hammer (aka used in manure spreaders). The "Heavy duty tracks) use the chain that I linked. The picture was kiped from www.drivesinc.com literature.

johhnyx is offline Plastic

Default question on mini dozer parts

Hi,
    I know this was/is an old thread, but I had looked at the old Struck MD-40 plans as well and had some questions. I saw you found a source for the Ag chain, but what about the 22 tooth sprockets? I have not found a source for those anywhere. And the plans also call out a large casting for the shaft and bearing holder on the inside. How did you make that one? An equivalent welding project?

I also didn't see on the plans where the blade attachment would be. I'm assuming it is a manual lift since there are no hydraulics. The only thing I saw on the plans was hitch.

It looks like a fairly easy plan to follow, with not too much fabrication, other than the parts I saw.

I really don't want to start looking in junkyards for sprockets on old hardware, since much of the time something like that might be worn out anyway, and when it does wear out, I'd like a place to get a new one readily.

Thanks for any help.
    John

Ray Behner is offline Titanium

John,
    I burned out my own sprockets for a dozer I built several years ago. I also used: US Tsubaki mining chain and welded '' plates to the chain for track.

mini dozer pics

dkmc is offline Diamond
    Upstate NY -In the Flats next to the corn fields

Nothing to do with your orig. question, but there is a reason the used market is slim on these 'toys'......
    If you've always wanted one, it should be a fun project and a neat toy.
    If you're thinking it will be capable of doing any kind of work, forget it.....

dk

Steve in SoCal is online now Stainless
    Woodland Hills, Ca. and some times Hutchinson, Ks.

The photo in the last post shows chain we call double pitch; we had this in the bag house of our dust collector. The chain was on axles with sprockets about 24 inches apart with paddles that moved the dust to an auger. The bag house was 100+ feet long and it ate chain!

Steve

Ciszewski is offline Hot Rolled

Hello Jeremy
    Looks like an interesting project. For combine feeder chain & sprockets try
    Loewen Premium Quality Combine Parts

Cole2534 is offline Titanium

Anyone know where I can get plans to build one of these?

This looks like a fun project, http://www.scribd.com/doc/38795064/Vintage-Mini-Dozer-Plans.

Especially if one were to use a larger motor and some hydraulics.
    Last edited by Cole2534; 08-24-2011 at 12:10 AM. Reason: Found some

johhnyx is offline Plastic

Default The toy factor

Quote Originally Posted by dkmc View Post
    Nothing to do with your orig. question, but there is a reason the used market is slim on these 'toys'......
    If you've always wanted one, it should be a fun project and a neat toy.
    If you're thinking it will be capable of doing any kind of work, forget it.....

dk
    Yes, I agree with you on that. How much can you expect to move with a little light duty thing like the MD-40? I suppose it might drag some logs since I can drag some small ones with just my ATV, and this should have at least as much pulling power, if about 1/4 the speed.

But it has to at least have a blade to complete the looks, even if it does not
    move much of any substance.
    John

abarnsley is offline Titanium

It is not going to pull (dead load) anymore than it weighs...

That is not much dirt in front with a blade, or a very big log...

Strictly a toy.

dkmc is offline Diamond

Which is perfectly OK for fun and kicks.....make a neat rider for the local old engine shows, etc.
    I do think however, that those that were sold, were hyped up as
    compact workhorses, which they are not.
    Always wondered just how many were sold.....
    I think Struck co is still in business.

dk

Robert Lake is offline Plastic

Default Agritrac for sale

I got a 1962 Agritrac crawler tractor recently to do some work on my property but it is not going to work out on the steep grades I needed it for, so I am going to sell it. This is the small crawler similar to the MD but a lot stronger. It wasn't running when I bought it but after a carb rebuild, new drive belts, new drive sprocket, new idler bearings, etc., it is running like new now. It has a hydraulic blade and rippers. It has little wear on the drive sprockets and idler wheels and is in great shape over all. It is all original so if you are a collector, this is a good machine to buy. I'm going to ask around $3500 for it. Pics on request.

Ray Behner is offline Titanium

Robert,
    Got more than enough stuff, but sure would like to see that dozer. Is that the same as the Agri-cat?

Robert Lake is offline Plastic

Agricat had to change the name because of a dispute from another outfit so it became Agritrac. I attached a pic.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails agritrac-crawler.jpg  

dkmc is offline Diamond

Cool Robert....
    What engine?
    Any more pics??

dk

autofrite is offline Hot Rolled

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy View Post
    I'm certainly not going to use this as a commercial tractor, it's mostly for fun and to use around the place. I alread have a JD 40C crawler for the bigger stuff. The "track" chain in the specs I have is definitely pinned together and not the detachable steel chain.

It looks like this:

that is definetly detachable chain.i can see clearly the square shaped links.my firewood conveyor(old bale elevator)has a similar style of chain but has fingers formed to grab bales.
    another term for this kind of chain would be conveyor chain.
    the ca550 chain is in fact a double pitch,i wonder if a 44 tooth 50 sprocke would work?
    i do recall selling lots of this type of chain,all for ag purposes.

Bentworker is offline Aluminum

Most use CA550 or CA557 chain. I think the pitch is 1.630"

The sprockets are pretty simple, you can figure out the tooth profile by using the ASME standard for agricultural chain.

All tracks for Struck Maganatrac dozers are made out of CA550 or CA557, the older ones use attachment chain, and have the shoes bolted to every link, the newer Struck tracks use standard chain, and they weld the shoes onto every pin link.

ASME standard, expect to pay too much money to get a copy!!!
    B29.300 - Agricultural, Detachable, and Pintle Chains, Attachments and Sprockets

Good luck!
    Peter

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast