What's new
What's new

IDing odd lock washer.

JonesL

Plastic
I found this in a puddle of hardened Permatex on the bottom of a box of old drill bits.
Never seen a split washer quite like this before and that's after playing with old and new internal combustion and steam engines most of my life. Only about 1/8" of the ends are upset while most of washer body is flat. The side opposite the 'tooth' is tapered and looks like it was ground.
Dimns are; 1.0625 O.D., .5625 I.D., .125" thick except for the shaped ends.
Looks like a lot of work went into making this split washer.
Anybody got any ideas as to application or manufacturer?

Lock washer 1.jpgLock washer 2.jpg

It looks like a similar idea as a Nord Lock washer except not repeated around the perimeter. Most likely older based on patina (obviously).

Thanks for the relies.
muckalee, I agree except for this one's size. Sheet metal versions I've seen are smaller and not as aggressive. This one looks like it would hold armor plate on. I haven't tried a file test but this is definitely tempered; no scoring marks from being installed or removed other than patina discoloration.

It's a long shot but, if that's tempered and with a bend that sharp over such a short distance I can't see that pulling flat like a split lock washer needs to to work. The whole thing looks quite precisely made, washers are usually just stamped steel, maybe it's a machine part of some kind and not a washer? Part of a ratchet type mechanism on a small shaft or something similar? Just a theory but it would explain why it has no score marks from use as a washer

Back