What's new
What's new

Gear cutting lube?

Cory

Cast Iron
I am finishing up a restoration of a Barber Colman #3 gear hobber and want to use the best all around cutting fluid for gear cutting. I bought this gear machine to make gears to fix my tools. I called RPI and they recomended using Mobilmet Omega as an all around cutting fluid. I plan on cutting bronze worm gears and latter may be some steel spur gears but do want to change the fluid all the time back and forth. Can you guys recomend an all around fluid for gear hobbing.Thanks,Cory

Ideal or not, I just use regular, water-soluble cutting fluid for hobbing. You know, milk. Maybe a bit thicker blend than usual.

Cory, keep in mind that you are using high speed steel cutting tools. When hobbing steel gears, cutters greatly benefit from sulfur oils. We use Mobilmet Gamma with excellent results. However, the sulfur will stain bronze worm gears. So just hob those dry. For the gear machines we build, the warranty is void is water soluble fluid is used. On a No. 3 or 6-10 it will strip the lube oils from the lead screw, way surfaces and outboard support. Not to mention tramp oil issues.

Back