What's new
What's new

Shop safety videos or pictures

Mike Hedger

Aluminum
I am a HS automotive instructor as well as a small fab shop owner and it is getting that time of year where I am looking for some good shop safety pictures or short videos to drive the point home to my students that things out in the shop as well as there garage can hurt or even kill them.

Let me know if you guys have any pictures that will help out.

I was in a small one man machine shop yesterday when the owner was turning a part on a 15" lathe with NO SAFETY GLASSES ON. He also had a button up shirt on that had the tails hanging out just waiting to get caught in the lead screw. I guess he has never been to the eye doctor for metal in the eye.

Thank you, Mike

How graphic do you want? There are accident photos on this site and others of death by engine lathe. I do not like to see them, but they are real and real graphic. Drives the point home pretty quick.

For videos these days, I can't imagine anything easier than going to YouTube and typing something into the search bar.

What are the tools and machines you're dealing with. No point showing the students a picture or someone killed in a lathe mishap if they'll never be running a lathe.

If you're talking general shop safety like glasses and proper clothing I would wait for someone to mess up and then use them as an example to drill the rules into the minds of the other students.

What are the tools and machines you're dealing with. No point showing the students a picture or someone killed in a lathe mishap if they'll never be running a lathe.

If you're talking general shop safety like glasses and proper clothing I would wait for someone to mess up and then use them as an example to drill the rules into the minds of the other students.

I teach automotive but we have a machine shop as well as welding & wood shop so I can share the videos between the lot of us. I looked on you tube but they were not graffic enough for me, I saw one 25 years ago in HS wood shop that a guy was watching another worker run an engine lathe when the tooling broke. That part was staged but the doctor pulling the chunk out of his eye with a magnet was all real and has stuck with me for life. I have all my guys wearing safety glasses and climb up one side and down the other when they dont the first time the second time they go to the principal and do time in "school jail" or they are out of the class. I have sent one student to the principal in 8 years. They even make the visitors wait at teh door till they get them a pair of glasses. I will look at the ones you guys sugested and see what I can use.

Thank you for the replies, Mike

I do not know how your state handles workers comp. but in Ohio workers comp is through the state. Being that, they have a seperate division called the Division of Safety and Hygiene. They provide free services to all Ohio employers including training of company safety personnel and provide a free safety video library.

I suggest that you research Texas BWC and see if they have a similar program. -Mike

How graphic do you want? There are accident photos on this site and others of death by engine lathe. I do not like to see them, but they are real and real graphic. Drives the point home pretty quick.

The ones that he is referring to would definitely get you calls from parents. I fI don't go for these types of images either but came across them on another forum that I frequent and it really drove home the point on how dangerous a moderate sized lathe can be. It was disturbing to say the least.

FROM A TEACHER - a GREAT safety Program!!!!

I have started using Career Safe (www.careersafe.com) as a safety resource for training students. It is a 10 hour online safety course dealing with all aspects of safety in a shop environment including electricity, basic safety, MSDS, ladders, working around power machinery, Blood borne pathogens and such. Very detailed, 63 units. They have l;essons, study guides and tests.

Time consuming to be sure, and many students finish the online before the ten hours is up, but there are ways to work this.

The key point in this is THIS. It is an OHSA approved program and each completer gets a card that shows they successfully completed all tests. This puts the weight of liability more on the students than on the instructor in many ways. The student has the card from an OHSA approved program therefore has the awareness and successful completion status of knowing the safety. You have a record as well as the teacher.

This is also a THIRD PARTY safety organization, so no claims can be made that you gave things like incomplete tests or tests with ambiguities, nor can you be accused of unfair treatment or test grading ambiguities.

This all said, there will be aspects where you have to provide instruction on safety in specific situations in your shop, but the safety habits issues are addressed and by cross reference back to Career safe, you may have more "leg to stand on" through a third party safety group providing your initial training.

You should always check with your admin and maybe a school law expert (your school lawyer through your superintendentrs office), but I think it will work out. They may also be impressed you are thinking "third party" certifications - this was the case for our school.

The cost last term was $12.00 per student, but well worth it.

I have started using Career Safe (www.careersafe.com) as a safety resource for training students. It is a 10 hour online safety course dealing with all aspects of safety in a shop environment including electricity, basic safety, MSDS, ladders, working around power machinery, Blood borne pathogens and such. Very detailed, 63 units. They have l;essons, study guides and tests.

Time consuming to be sure, and many students finish the online before the ten hours is up, but there are ways to work this.

The key point in this is THIS. It is an OHSA approved program and each completer gets a card that shows they successfully completed all tests. This puts the weight of liability more on the students than on the instructor in many ways. The student has the card from an OHSA approved program therefore has the awareness and successful completion status of knowing the safety. You have a record as well as the teacher.

This is also a THIRD PARTY safety organization, so no claims can be made that you gave things like incomplete tests or tests with ambiguities, nor can you be accused of unfair treatment or test grading ambiguities.

This all said, there will be aspects where you have to provide instruction on safety in specific situations in your shop, but the safety habits issues are addressed and by cross reference back to Career safe, you may have more "leg to stand on" through a third party safety group providing your initial training.

You should always check with your admin and maybe a school law expert (your school lawyer through your superintendentrs office), but I think it will work out. They may also be impressed you are thinking "third party" certifications - this was the case for our school.

The cost last term was $12.00 per student, but well worth it.

The link did not work but I think something like this would be great and give the student they can build on for the future.

Thanks a bunch, Mike

Back