What's new
What's new

Filling Shipping box with Expanding foam Question

Richard King

Diamond
I hope i have the right forum.

I have some cast iron straight-edges to ship. In the past I wrap them with bubble wrap and ship in cardboard boxes. I just ordered some new 12 x 12 telescoping cardboard boxes, meaning they can be cut to the right length and one box fits over the other to get the length needed. Mud sent me a straight-edge last year and he had it packed with foam. But I think he has a foam gun that is made for packing.

I was thinking has anyone used insulating foam in this way? I bought some spray cans yesterday and figured I would give it a try today. I have been looking on You-Tube and no one has tried it with the spray cans that I have found. It appears to expand about 4 times. I have a big void in one of the 36" long Straight-edges, but the 48" isn't as much. I was thinking of a combo bubble wrap and foam. I do plan on putting 3/4" plywwod square blocks on the ends too, just in case they drop it so it won't rip through the ends. I was thinking of standing the box on it's end and drilling holes in the box and fill it from the bottom up, so it expands upward.

Has anyone ever tried spray insulating foam for packing material? Thanks, Rich

I have a friend who rebuilds motorcycle engines. His preferred method of shipping is to wrap the engine in several layers of heavy garbage bags, place that in a large plastic storage container then fill the voids with the spray foam that you mentioned.
Karl

I have considered this also. In your example I would not fill it completely full. I'd just give each hole a quick shot. You really just need enough to stabilize it. If you try to fill the tube it will almost certainly burst. Plus, it will be much harder for the recipient to unpack.

I have considered this also. In your example I would not fill it completely full. I'd just give each hole a quick shot. You really just need enough to stabilize it. If you try to fill the tube it will almost certainly burst. Plus, it will be much harder for the recipient to unpack.

Good point...maybe squirt, put in some bubble wrap to fill that void...then squirt again. Thanks Rex..

They make self mixing bags of this stuff.

No clue where to get it but we often receive things packed with it.

They look like plain bag that maybe you break a tube inside then toss into box place your item then another bag.

They expand to fill box.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337Z using Tapatalk

I saw the bags on You tube, and buy my boxes from Uline, but you have to buy $400.00 worth for 2 boxes. I already bought the spray cans for $5.00 a can and will give it a shot. I was hoping someone had tried the spray cans.

Good point...maybe squirt, put in some bubble wrap to fill that void...then squirt again. Thanks Rex..

Make sure you wear nitrile gloves when working with that shit. If it gets on your skin, it is NOT coming off without also removing several layers of your skin. It has to wear off. Even says so on the can. BTDT. :wall:

I bought some gloves and Acetone too...I did my homework...watched a lot of you tube on filling 2 x 4 walls....just need info on shipping boxes..I'll do it and take some pictures. Im not at all an expert on You Tube...maybe I can get my son to tell me how to download on it...he has a couple of shows on there using his drone.

The foam used for filling door and window gaps is lower expansion. Whatever foam is used should be contained in heavy plastic bags or it will stick to other packing and make a mess.

An interesting story about foam. Years ago a coworker used foam to fill a rusted out area on his car. After it cured he couldn't open the door and had to go in from the other side and use both feet to force it open.

The little bit I tried that canned foam, it seemed to get out of control in a hurry, and never seemed to stop expanding until it hit something solid like a 2X4. Go gently, spray a very small amount and wait until it stops before spraying more. It will rip boxes apart, it can even jam windows so that they don't open. Maybe there are other brands that are less dense and less powerful?

The little bit I tried that canned foam, it seemed to get out of control in a hurry, and never seemed to stop expanding until it hit something solid like a 2X4. Go gently, spray a very small amount and wait until it stops before spraying more. It will rip boxes apart, it can even jam windows so that they don't open. Maybe there are other brands that are less dense and less powerful?

That's why I suggested door and window foam. Much more controllable expansion.

Well I started. Put in some hard foam rubber first 1/2 x 12 x 12, then a 3/4 x 12 x 12 plywood. Then I slid in the straight edge, centered it with Styrofoam and squirted in some foam, let it dry for about 30 min until it was not sticky, then poured in some peanuts and then packed some bubbles around it. Packed it down with a 1 x 4 board. Then squirted in another layer of foam. It seems solid as heck. Will wait another 30 min and back in some more bubbles and then put the plywood and rubber cap and put on the outside box, nylon strap tape it shut and then do the 36" Straight-edge... Hopefully it expands up and not out....lol Rich

Attachments

• 20160427_113837.jpg
    20160427_113837.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 1,323
  • 20160427_113849.jpg
    20160427_113849.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 1,026
  • 20160427_113942.jpg
    20160427_113942.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 1,053
  • 20160427_114347.jpg
    20160427_114347.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 1,218
  • 20160427_115429.jpg
    20160427_115429.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 1,171
Please wrap your part in plastic first.
Otherwise the recipient will be cursing you every time they see the foam crap that is bonded to the cast iron.

And I am of the opinion that heavy pointy objects need wood at the package ends to prevent the shipped item from launching itself through the end of the box when the apes at the shipping depot toss/throw/drop the box.

This is a casting and will be machined and sand blasted, no need to wrap with plastic in my opinion now. I bought some thing plastic but didn't use it. I wanted the foam to flow around the ribs. I'll ask the buyer to add some info on unpacking it. Thanks everyone. Rich

That is a total mess. you're honestly an A-hole for spraying your clients part with Great Stuff. Great Stuff is not a packing material and will offer no insulation against a heavy cast part.

when the mods see you sprayed a heavy cast iron piece with Great Stuff and threw it in a single-wall carton and called it job-well-done, you'll be the one getting reprimanded.

Back