What's new
What's new

Cutter Grinder help

OhioMike

Plastic
Finally got around to going through the Gallmeyer Livingston #10 cutter grinder I purchased about five years ago and want to start using it but not sure where to start. Looking for source for literature and possible some attachments. I have sevaral books on machining but they are very limited on the subject of tool grinding. Any help or opinions would be appreciated.
Mike

The Norton Co. has some booklets on Toolroom grinding that are
very good. I hope they are still available. It would be a place to start.
Old Bill

Finally got around to going through the Gallmeyer Livingston #10 cutter grinder I purchased about five years ago and want to start using it but not sure where to start. Looking for source for literature and possible some attachments. I have sevaral books on machining but they are very limited on the subject of tool grinding. Any help or opinions would be appreciated.
Mike

I owned a No. 2 Cincinnati clone for awhile. Looked everywhere for how to use it. Finally, I took a class at a local technical college where the guy told me he'd teach me how to use the T&C grinder if I'd sharpen stuff for him. I learned to sharpen end mills and reamers pretty good. Then someone sent me a book - what a godsend! The original book is rare and very sought after, but I have seen copies on ebay although none at present. See ebay item 290089225776. The book is entitled "Instruction Manual - A Handbook For Use With K. O. Lee Universal Grinders And Tool And Cutter Grinders" and it was written by K.O. Lee.

There are lots of techniques and pictures shown that are useful to any brand of T&C grinder.

If you feel like getting yourself a Christmas present and you don't like the ebay price (yow!) I'd take a coupla
twenties for mine. If you want to pursue that, email me at [email protected] because it might take me many weeks to spot a private message on this board.

Grant

Grant

If you don't get a reply to your offer for that instruction manual, I will take it.

I have a K.O.Lee grinder, and would find it useful.

E-mail me as to info for payment.

Mike Butcher

Can anyone compare the KO Lee manual to the Leblond of Cincinnati's "Toolroom Grinding"; or to Cincinnati's "Operators Manual" for the #2 T & C?

I think these are good manuals outlining a range of operations that can be done on the machines. All forms of cutter grinding as well as light cylindrical, center, and other processes. But I'd buy the KO Lee book too if it has more or "better" descriptions?

smt

The rare KO Lee tool and cutter grinding handbook isn't really all that rare as it is expensive. I just talked to Dean Erickson in customer service at K.O. LEE and the book is in stock and available for $125. Dean can be reached at 1-605-225-5820 x-152.

I believe I have an extra KO Lee copy laying around here somewhere if any of you are interested in making an offer. I'm not greedy.

SMT, I also have the Cincinnati T&C grinding manual for the #2. However, it's been a while since I've studied them. Give me some time to dust them off and I'll offer a comparison.

If I could work out a deal with our fellow PM member in England (John Stevenson? who sells on ebay as MaryPoppinsBag) I'd send both to him for scanning, then you could buy his T&C grinding CD. BTW, in my opinion, the CD is already worth the price for what it contains.

Take care,
John

T&C Stuff

First, I would endorse John S's CD.
Secondly, I would join the YahooGroups Quorn_Owners forums- there are 3
I would spread to ToolGrinding.
I would have a few coins on Chaddocks- The Quorn.
That is a start!

I think that I have said many times that the more information which comes from other manufacturers, the clearer things become. I run a Clarkson and a Quorn but John's Boxford stuff had the edge.

Back