What's new
What's new

Finding Information on a Sandvik boring bar Not Easy

gjrepesh

Cast Iron
I feel internet challenged at time looking for data that should be easy to find...in my opinion. I acquired a small Sandvik boring bar with these markings: SANDVIK S0(zero)6M SCLCR-2 C0(zero)M. I added (zero) to, hopefully, avoid confusion. So I go to the Sandvik web site and enter this data in the search box. My response was: WE APOLOGIZE...and nothing else. What am I missing? Is there a secret to finding information on my boring bar? Through other searches outside of Sandvik it looks like the inserts are CCMT 21.51. Is that correct? I would also like to buy some extra screws. Mine used a T6 torx. There are many part numbers available so I'd like to know the correct one for my insert. Can anyone help clear this up? Is it me or are these manufacturer web sites that difficult to use? Thanks.

It may be an obsolete number. The term SCLCR is searchable, but no exact match to the rest of your number. You might be able to cross it over if you click on the details of one of the bars shown and compare measurements.

"S06M SCLCR-2" is a standard industry designation. This chart decodes it thusly:

S is a solid steel bar
06 is a 3/8" diameter bar
M is a 6" long bar

S is a screw lock only
C is a bar using C-shape 80 degree diamond inserts
L is a bar with -5 degree end and side cutting angles
C is a bar using inserts with 7 degree side relief
R is a right-handed bar

2 is a bar using inserts with a 1/4" inscribed circle

So that tells you, among other things, that the bar uses CC..2.. inserts. For example, CCMT21.51 inserts. The metric equivalent would be CCMT060204, which is completely interchangeable.

Sandvik has replaced that bar with the very similar "A06M SCLCR-2", which is a bar with a coolant hole, instead of a solid bar. On that page you can access a list of spare parts, and the only relevant part is the replacement screw.

While insert lock screws are not hardware-store fasteners, they are also pretty standardized as the heads have to fit the insert hole chamfers. A screw that fit any SCLC.-2 bar, from any manufacturer, will probably fit your bar just fine. Worst case, you'd have to grind a small amount off the threaded end of the screw.

Thank you for the write up. Sure makes that jibberish understandable. So my bar has been replaced. Is it common thru the industry that when a piece is replaced, the replaced piece sort of drops off the edge of earth. I know it would be on me if I bought this new and didn't know what to buy. It is sort of different when you pick it up down the road. Mine looks brand new and might have never been used. To me it might have been bought new a month ago. Anyway, it looks like the chart is a good place to start. Thanks again. Gary R.

Well, you can probably buy an S06M SCLCR-2 from five or six different vendors today. Here you go, you can buy one made by Dorian on Amazon. Or, here's one made by Accusize.

And the A06M is basically the same bar, with the added bonus feature of having a coolant channel, should your machine be able to supply coolant.

So it's not like there was only one maker of that tool and it disappeared from the face of the Earth.

Your right about other manufacturers carrying that same piece. Dorian came up in my searching. I was addressing Sandvik specifically. Unless I missed it, there is no information available on their web site for my boring bar. This piece is that old that they can't/won't support it anymore? Basically, I'm not happy with Sandvik due to this experience. Since they seem to have 6 billion tool variations, I guess supporting older stuff just doesn't make sense...that sucks!!

Back