What's new
What's new

Finding the right manufacturer for a product (1/4" audio plug)

Megaman

Plastic
Hi guys,

I have been thinking for a long time now about designing and manufacturing a custom 1/4" audio plug, for my needs and for sale globally.
Still on the planning phase and trying to figure out which manufacturer type is suitable for this kind of item, and whether the costs are something I can handle.

It usually involves 2-4 parts, made of one or two types of metal and an insulation material (to insulate between the tip and ground connections).
Do you think a machining shop will be suitable for this kind or work ? Can they usually perform assembly of parts as well ?

32-233-apart-1500-2.jpg

Thanks in advance for your input

First you show a simple, right angled phone plug. These are already available in a variety of styles. Just looking at your sketch, I can say that I have purchased and used plugs like this by the hundreds for many decades and do not see anything unique about it. Perhaps the screw on-outer shell at a right angle is somewhat unique; most right angle plugs have other kinds of shells which provide better clearance. Well, I checked one manufacturer and found it is not unique:

Switchcraft : 1/4" Right Angle Plugs

You are stepping into a VERY competitive arena.

There are a number of companies that make this kind of product. A machine shop could certainly make them, but I can't imagine that they could do so at a price that would be competitive with the big boys. In fact electronic parts are frequently priced down to three or even more decimal places. That is a measure of just how competitive the prices are in the industry as it shows that they are thinking in terms of hundredths and even thousandths of a penny per part. By going to a machine shop with no experience with this kind of product, you are probably going to wind up at ten times the price of available, name brand ones or even more. If you really want to do this, I would go to a company that already has experience with this type of product. As seen above, the first one I checked, Switchcraft, already has your design and you can simply buy them and resell. I know we are not into import things here on this board, but a Chinese company may be able to make them to your specs and for less. Do a web search for them. Expect to buy several thousand in the first purchase.

PS: Some years ago I designed a variation of another popular plug which did have significant advantages over anything else on the market. So far I have not been able to interest anyone in making it. This is not easy.

I should have mentioned, the picture I attached is just an example(yeah, it's a Switchcraft plug), for those who don't know what I am referring to.

I am not planning to compete on price. The specs I need for it are different than the other stuff on the market, aimed for specific use, so I don't mind it to be somewhat more expensive.

Was thinking about a first production batch of 2K-10K.

Companies which specializes in these kind of parts don't usually offer custom designed parts...

I should have mentioned, the picture I attached is just an example(yeah, it's a Switchcraft plug), for those who don't know what I am referring to.

I am not planning to compete on price. The specs I need for it are different than the other stuff on the market, aimed for specific use, so I don't mind it to be somewhat more expensive.

Companies which specializes in these kind of parts don't usually offer custom designed parts...

Best would be if you could visit a connector factory and talk with one of their engineers. If tooling needs to be made costs will escalate horribly and 2-10k is not a lot of connectors. A machining shop specializing in small parts could make something on those lines ( your picture ) but it won't be cheap. And you always compete on price even when you think you don't.

Did you contact the USA Manuf I posted the linky to ?

OK, I have visited Switchcraft up in Chicago, years ago now.

At that time, they had rooms full of rotary multiple station machines for assembly, every one of which had to cost about 150 grand or so. And that was just to assemble the parts, not make them. Those machines popped out parts quickly, which is how you keep price down.

You will not beat them, let alone the asian sources, unless you have something special, that is at least protected by patent etc in US, if not elsewhere.

For the 2-10K range screw machine - swiss lathe places - hell anyone with a lathe with a bar feeder could easily make you most of the parts. assembly need be little more than some crude tooling in lever presses. would be more than good enough to run of a few thousand and prove the deal before getting serious. Lower qty still can easily be proofed out with laser cut sheet components bent up and hand turned parts on a old manual lathe with little more than a few crude form tools.

If your just after custom back shells, make em and buy just the connector parts, lot easier and cheaper.

Yeah you may never compete in the mass markets, but there can be great money to be had in the niches if you can access em!

I've used a Switchcraft or two in my day... :codger: but I can see that some niche markets might buy up a less-than-cheap version that offers real or perceived benefits: sonic, ruggedness, affinity, whatevs. The last ones I used were from Neutrik, and they were quite spiffy. Perhaps take a look at buying existing parts and re-working them for your needs. Re-electroplating, parts substitution and re-build, new casings, waterproof hoods, etc. Whatever your target market cares about enough to pay 'vanity' pricing. (Not slamming you with that label.) Disassembly and reassembly will be a pain in the ass, but nowhere near as much as starting from scratch. Unless you 3D print them on one machine that does plastic insulators integrated with metal depositing. :stirthepot:

Neutrik is interesting because of their modularity, allowing for construction of adaptors, transformer-holding casings, etc. out of standard parts. Re-working some of those standard parts can allow you to get in the low-volume game without starting from scratch. I think you'll be under the radar enough that they won't care, or will appreciate the sales regardless of what you do with them.

Chip

For the 2-10K range screw machine - swiss lathe places - hell anyone with a lathe with a bar feeder could easily make you most of the parts. assembly need be little more than some crude tooling in lever presses. would be more than good enough to run of a few thousand and prove the deal before getting serious. Lower qty still can easily be proofed out with laser cut sheet components bent up and hand turned parts on a old manual lathe with little more than a few crude form tools.

If your just after custom back shells, make em and buy just the connector parts, lot easier and cheaper.

Yeah you may never compete in the mass markets, but there can be great money to be had in the niches if you can access em!

I need a new design. The plug is supposed to be a niche product indeed.
The US made ones usually retail for 2.5$-4$, I guess I can get away with $5-$7. This means I need my cost to be around $2, or less. I some US made plugs are being sold to distributors at about $1.5 for when they purchase a few thousands or more.

Because neither G&H nor any other company have a product that will answer all my needs, which I believe will be the needs of others in my field, hopefully :)

Ok, what exactly are you trying to create? As stated, there are many, many companies making these plugs. I use mainly Neutrik. But, if you are trying to come up with a unique, stylized product then I get it. First, you have to have a good CAD drawing and then you have to figure out how you want it made. You want it die cast or are you looking for a high end, machined piece to cater to those who want something unique and not afraid to pay more. You are going to have to provide us with more info. We don't need to see your design but more about what you are hoping to accomplish.

Maybe a screw machine?
But you're going to end up banging your head against the wall to get your costs down.
Have you looked into paying a mfg to run them for you who already makes millions of these a year?

Ok, what exactly are you trying to create?

Let me guess. It's a 'secret.' He wants to know what it would take to make this secret thing but he cannot tell us what the
thing is because then we would steal his secret.

Fair 'nuff.

Sir you need a lathe to make these parts. Probably. Possibly some other machines as well depending on the secret details.

Ok, what exactly are you trying to create? As stated, there are many, many companies making these plugs. I use mainly Neutrik. But, if you are trying to come up with a unique, stylized product then I get it. First, you have to have a good CAD drawing and then you have to figure out how you want it made. You want it die cast or are you looking for a high end, machined piece to cater to those who want something unique and not afraid to pay more. You are going to have to provide us with more info. We don't need to see your design but more about what you are hoping to accomplish.

I am trying to create a connector that will be more suitable for a specific use and I am aiming for more "high end" product.

Let me guess. It's a 'secret.' He wants to know what it would take to make this secret thing but he cannot tell us what the

Fair 'nuff.

Sir you need a lathe to make these parts. Probably. Possibly some other machines as well depending on the secret details.

There's no "secret". I don't have a design yet, at least not on paper, just an aspiration to create something better at this point.
I can't imagine the specs I am thinking about will require different machinery than other plugs on the market, like the Switchcraft one I gave as an example.

Fair 'nuff.

I read post after post trying to figure out what he wants to make but it is a SECRET, unfinalized idea that he wants to to cost out and contact manufacturers for. It is for a SECRET market that we are not entitled to know. The audio world is loaded with companies that have made a fortune supplying gullible people with SUPER wires and connectors that do not inprove quality one iota. They use pseudo scientific descriptions that sound good to the uninformed. The last thing the market needs is another BS product. It is saturated.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Hi guys,

I have been thinking for a long time now about designing and manufacturing a custom 1/4" audio plug, for my needs and for sale globally.
Still on the planning phase and trying to figure out which manufacturer type is suitable for this kind of item, and whether the costs are something I can handle.

It usually involves 2-4 parts, made of one or two types of metal and an insulation material (to insulate between the tip and ground connections).
Do you think a machining shop will be suitable for this kind or work ? Can they usually perform assembly of parts as well ?

Refreshing to see a guy who is thinking in terms of quality, not how to compete with the you know whats.

Back