What's new
What's new

Buying carbide inserts

gearhead

Cast Iron
Need some help on buying carbide inserts. In the past I have just purchased import tooling and used what came on the tool. I have acquired new tooling that have old inserts that need replaced. But I don't know which type to buy or how they are sized ect.
For example I have a Alenitem 5/8th tool holder that needs an insert. I also have a Carboloy 1" tool holder that also needs an insert. How do you measure or make the determination which insert to use. I just do mild steel machining so nothing fancy is need. Any help on this would be very greatfully accepted..Gear

CarbideBob,

All the shapes are a triangle. The tool holders do not have part numbers. I'll have to measure the size of the triangles and give you the size.

Try to find yourself a couple manufacturer catalogs, Sandvik has a really nice one. It has a lot of good info in there about shapes and grades, etc. Good tool holders normally have all the info stamper/engraved on them, regarding what they are and what inserts they require. Unfortunately there is still these odd inserts and holders that each brand has and only they have the thing you need. It can be a pain trying to match different brands.

You'll need a tri-mic to measure the IC on a triangle :( . Measure the thickness, hole size, height (base to tip), and across the corners with some calipers to within .005-.010 thou. and I can probably id the inserts for you. Are the inserts smaller on the bottom than they are on top?
Bob

The MSC catalog has a pretty good explanation of what the letters and numbers of an insert mean.

With the pictures, lay a 6" scale alongside the insert.

Pictures don't tell you size without a reference to scale it to.

If the inserts now in the holder are readable, the type and size are usually inscribed on them, at least all of mine are, but mine are many years old.

You may need a good mag glass to read them.

Cheers,

George

The first letter is a T. Then it gets more complicated.

"Try to find yourself a couple manufacturer catalogs, Sandvik has a really nice one." Informative yes, but confusing as all get out. Took me years to finally figure out how to turn pages with that thing. Now it's second nature.

Best thing to do is get a number off the tool, then find it in a catalog somewhere and the corresponding insert will probably be nearby.

Be slow and careful. It's real easy to find yourself with an inventory of cutters that don't fit any holder you have.

(Don't) ask me how I know that.

Yeah, well "T" is the first letter in something like TNMG. It is a triangular insert, hence the "T".
NOW, we gotta know the next number, and the few after that.

Your 1 inch holder, likely will be T***542, 543, 544.

Your 5/8 holder is likely going to be T***322, 323, 324.

Next is going to be some numbers to tell whether it is a screw down insert, a cammed insert, a clamped insert.

I think someone in addition to me said it would be nice of you to take a pic and post it, and I said it would be nice if you put a reference in the photo, such as a 6" scale, where you can read the size.

Cheers,

George

Hey, excuse me if you don't have a digital camera. They're so common that some of us assume that everyone has one. If you don't, and DO have a scanner, it will work. Still, place a scale next to the tip or the holder for scale reference.

Back