What's new
What's new

Good spring mfg for heavy springs that is "reasonable"

viper

Titanium
I called a couple today and getting ridiculous rates so thought I would ask you guys.

We have several compressions springs to be made in various sizes. Most will be 3" diam x approx 12" long with the wire having a .375" cross section. Obviously nothing we can do in house... We will also need some shorter ones, etc.

Curious how to go to...

Also, for anyone with real world spring experience, would it be possible to buy bulk length spring and chop to size? The problem I see here is the last coil has to be flattened out so it makes nice, continuous contact at both ends, as any compression spring would.

Your well out side the size of anything i have delt with but spring is not sold as prestocked coil. Normaly its pre tempered wire. Then its run through a spring machine which is facinating to watch (especialy if its not just a simple coil like you want) which forms it into the spring. Some larger sizes like you want are i belive made in the soft state then heat treated. Custom large springs ain't going to be cheep. Theres a fair bit of force needed to form 3/8" section wire especialy forming it that tight.

Other option is to try and find a standard stock spring and adapt to use that. Larger Die springs?

I am having a very similar spring made at Midwest Spring and Stamping at Romeoville Il. 800 424 0244. I have been pleased with their service and product. E-coating is available. Talk to Chad Baxter. Rod

Back