What's new
What's new

First post: Need help disassembling Clausing 4914 gear box

clomb

Cast Iron
Hi everyone. Short time lurker needing advice on dissassembling a Clausing 4914 gear box. Great discussion group.

I have stripped the gear box down to fix some slop in the tumbler shaft. I noticed the middle dog gear (i.e. the sliding gear [not the clutch] connected to the BCA shifter knob through the clutch) was not aligning with the cone gear completely in the B position and in the A position the sliding dog gear was not fully engaging with the end dog gear. Does this make sense?? I could slide the middle gear over with my finger to make it mate up (about 1/8") but would slide back on its own.

It seems that the alignment is off a little between the BCA knob, Dog gears and cone gears. How could this happen? Perhaps the bearings moved within the housing?

Anyway, I was going to dissassemle the box and put in new bushings and bearings as necessary and reassemble watching all the alignment as I went but..... I can't get the cone gear shaft or the dog gear shaft (with the gears not the clutch) out.

Any advice on this? Also any pointers to reassembly would be appreciated.

Thanks everybody,
Chuck

Back