What's new
What's new

Stability of 1045 steel during/after hardening?

jdj

Diamond
I was wondering about size change/distortion of 1045 steel. I have some parts that are approx. 8.5" long by 2" in diam. Tapped holes of 5/16 fine thread. What should I expect?
Will there be a fair amount of decarb layer even if in a vac. furnace?

Jeff

P.S. I did a search and found a LITTLE bit of info, but not enough.

Last edited:
My recent experience is that the scaling was minimal. I used a water quench, on a 3" dia part with a .750 hole in it, the enlargement of the hole was about .002 and some minor overal distortion.

That was another thing I was wondering. shrinkage or growth. Maybe some of both? The little bit of heat treating (hardening) that I have done myself had always been done to steels with plenty of stock and unfinished features that left no need to be concerned about changes. That, and they were very stable tool steels.

Jeff

To prevent cracking around holes,and maybe to help minimize warping(which would be a major concern in any water hardening steel),I stomp all holes tightly with fine steel wool and a flat ended punch. This prevents cracking,but does not prevent the hole from hardening at all,like the old practice of filling them with clay. It just might also help the bars to act more like solid bars,and not warp due to the surface area differences on the bar where the holes are.

Back