What's new
What's new

Free downloadable M16 machining plans: possible?

ijustwrite

Plastic
The gun has been around since the 70s and the US army has recently upgraded to a newer model to become standard issue. In regards to that, is it possible to find complete plans for the gun? If so, any sites you can recommend? :D

The M16 is public domain now, right?:confused: I've seen plans for WW2 guns posted online free of charge...

I suppose the drawings are available. Of course, if you actually build one in the US you will spend a few years inside a prison where you will have plenty of time to give the drawings nice illuminated margins.

Home CNC Gunsmithing

Not True...
I am sure there is alot of misinformation out there on the subject but this clip is right from the atf website. I have been happily exercising my rights to manufacture my own weapons for some time now....

check this site for some free ar15 plans and photo tutorial....to get you started..:)

CNCGUNSMITHING - www.cncguns.com - AR15

For your information, per provisions of the Gun Control Act (GCA) of 1968, 18 U.S.C. Chapter 44, an unlicensed individual may make a “firearm” as defined in the GCA for his own personal use, but not for sale or distribution.

The GCA, 18 U.S.C. § 921(a)(3), defines the term “firearm” to include the following:

… (A) any weapon (including a starter gun) which will or is designed to or may be readily converted to expel a projectile by the action of an explosive: (B) the frame or receiver of any such weapon; (C) any firearm muffler or silencer; or (D) any destructive device. Such term does not include an antique firearm.

I suppose the drawings are available. Of course, if you actually build one in the US you will spend a few years inside a prison where you will have plenty of time to give the drawings nice illuminated margins.

In the US you can build a firearm for personal use. The only way to transfer it is in a will. I have built AR's 1022's a sig-p226 several guns from cncguns.com.

As for the OP. Mabuhay, paano mo ginagawa?.Anong bahagi ng ang Pilipinas ay / kung ikaw ay malapit sa Laguna maaari mong hiramin ang aking mga fixtures para sa Ar sa.Im doon tungkol sa apat na beses sa isang taon upang maaari ba akong makakuha ito masyadong ka hangga't nito hindi para sa Abu sayaf o harap ng pamumuno ng Muslim international.

Also, the M16 has been around since the 60's when Gene Stoner built the first prototype. I would recomend not using the Barrels floating around Luzon and Cebu since they are usually early 60's design witch ment no chrome chamber. There Is some guys in Northern Mindinao that are selling newer stuff. My wife and I built one for each of us and our kids for 62,400 Pesos a few years ago. Not bad for Four select fire M4's. However, You can buy an MP-5 for 300.00 USD in Southern Mindinao witch is a much better weapon for the increasing crime rates in urban enviroments over there.

Plans for the m16 are readily available.

As for the posters saying it's perfectly legal, I'd recommend a review of federal case code more thoroughly.

While you can manufacture firearms, any item which falls under the NFA cannot be manufactured without a whole lot of paperwork and extra licensing.

Due to an M16's three round burst and full auto capability, it falls under NFA leglislation.

AR15 with appropriate length barrel and semi auto capability however, perfectly legal per federal law. Check state laws accordingly.

As for the posters saying it's perfectly legal, I'd recommend a review of federal case code more thoroughly.

While you can manufacture firearms, any item which falls under the NFA cannot be manufactured without a whole lot of paperwork and extra licensing.

Due to an M16's three round burst and full auto capability, it falls under NFA leglislation.

AR15 with appropriate length barrel and semi auto capability however, perfectly legal per federal law. Check state laws accordingly.

Note that the posters location is in the Philippines. Things are Much Much different over there. You cannot walk one block with seing an assault rifle or tactical shotguns slung over there sholders.

When I ride In a Jeepney or A trike They have adds much like gun broker taped to the inside of the vehicle for sale buy individuals. Usually the driver gets a fee for selling the item so he keeps the adds close to him. Buying a full auto firearm there is like buying a pack of sigs here. If the police say anything its usually something like (give me 200 Pesos) witch is roughly $4.00 USD. A country with 72% poverty and 60% unemployment has alot of corruption. The average police officer makes about $3.00 US per day so they take any extra money they can get.

Eventually someone saw the point. The M16 is a fully automatic weapon and it would be illegal to build one in the "US" - as I was careful to mention. My post was not so much an answer to the OP but as a warning to members who may not be aware of the NFA that building a true M16 would not be a good idea.

Additionally, knowingly sending drawings for a military weapon out of the US would be a contravention of Department of Defense and State Department regulations.

Couple dozen sources around the WWW for the info you are looking for.

Search "AR 15" along with Plans, Drawings, Solids, etc, and there are a bunch out there.

cncguns, falfiles, homegunsmith.com, biggerhammer, etc, are all sites with some or all the info.

There was a really interesting vid on youtube of a fella that made a working AR lower out of plastic Ikea cutting boards.

There is at least one site that has downloads of a built up from smaller parts set of plans, so guys with machine tools too small to handle a whole upper or lower, can build.

As far as the legal side. Your business. Best if you know what you are getting into in your neighbourhood though.

Cheers
Trev

The plans that are available are plans drawn by private individuals based on their measurements. As far as I know none of the "milspec" plans are public. Of course those would provide tolerances. The milspec plans are strictly licensed to the company awarded the military contract, and are under strict rules regarding the sharing of those plans.

ITs a -15 with a different trigger group. No biggie.

There are MUCH easier ways to ..ahem.. have "fun" with it than going to all that trouble.

PS, full auto is NOT illegal, just requires a permit, I think its 200, and I KNOW they reserve the right to bust into your house at 3Am and search of you hve a permit.

Welkkome to AmeriKa

Use and ownership of a full auto firearm per se is not illegal according to federal law but the actual firearm is heavily restricted. There are no fully auto firearms that can be sold to the general public unless they were manufactured before 1968 (I think that is the date). Full auto weapons made after that date can only be possessed by LE or certain classes of FFL holders involved in their manufacture and sale. This is the reason that a legal full-auto firearm is going to cost in the multi-thousand dollar range, often 10s of thousands for a classic.

Not only that but ownership of a full-auto weapon may be permitted under federal law but be illegal under your state law. Be careful out there and know the rules since this is one firearms charge you will not bluff your way out of.

As daveca said, the only significant difference between an AR-15 and the M-16 is the trigger group. Most people shooting AR-15's are using the M-16 bolt carrier group as it is a little heavier and slows down the cycle time a bit. This is perfectly legal, even in Kalifornia, as it does nothing to make the firearm into something other than a normal semi-automatic rifle, or carbine.

There are so many machine shops machining mil-spec lower and upper receivers in this country that I would find it hard to believe the original poster could not download them off the net. And please, do not start on the mil-spec argument, those are minimum standards, not the ultimate be all in firearm design.

This thread really should be somewhere else but since legality is involved perhaps we want to clear up the misunderstandings here before we have members "inside".

The M16 receiver is most definitely not the same as an AR receiver. I do not work on AR/M types because I do not really like them but I have many contacts that do. Apparently the M16 has certain extra holes in the receiver associated with fitting the full-auto trigger assembly that do not exist on the AR receiver. Possession of an AR receiver with the extra holes and an M16 trigger group at the same time could be considered as "constructive possession" by the BATFE. Basically they are saying that possession of the individual parts that could be used to assemble a full-auto weapon in a short period of time is the same as actually possessing such an assembled weapon.

The BATFE has no sense of humor on this matter and cuts no slack. Some non-gun people may not know this but the BATFE once ruled that a shoe-lace could be part of a fully-auto gun because someone had discovered that if you tied the shoe-lace to both the bolt of the gun and the trigger and routed it the right way the gun would fire automatically when the bolt cycled.

Federal laws apply to every one, Every where. State laws are different everywhere. In PA gun laws are more relaxed, and you can build your own gun if you follow the laws and never sell it from what i understand, Without an FFL.

The AR can be machined with the right tooling, A lot of time, a good machine and a good machinist..... But your going to hit the hurdle of the magazine well. It has to be done with a colt M-16 broach or if you had a ram style EDM machine you could make an electrode and burn the mag well. There is a way around it, but I'm not telling you! lol good luck :)

Apparently the M16 has certain extra holes in the receiver associated with fitting the full-auto trigger assembly that do not exist on the AR receiver.

That's the pin hole for the trip, and all the drawings I have seen negate to mention this location.

I'm close to finishing a 0%, gotta finish out the mag well and trigger pocket. :smoking:

That "one hole" is a good way to go to federal prison and become some bad mans girlfriend.

Those free AR prints online leave a few critical dimensions out and are unclear. You can buy good prints for like 24 bucks.

Those free AR prints online leave a few critical dimensions out and are unclear. You can buy good prints for like 24 bucks.

Same deal as any info got from online. Check it and cross check it. All information, without corroborating evidence, is suspect.

Makes me wonder, some days, watching the amount of hand-wringing that goes on in gun related threads.

Know and follow your own laws. All will be grand! More than that is just fearmongering.

Cheers
Trev

Back