What's new
What's new

ER 20 Collet Dimensional Range?

pak

Cast Iron
I have a tool that has a diameter of .4634. Does an ER 20 5/32" collet have the range to hold this properly or should I turn it down to the next inch or metric size. I would prefer not to turn it smaller, if I don't have to.

It’s in my lathe now and I don’t want to take it out until I get a response.

Regards,

Drew

Are you sure you mean 5/32? that is close on 0.300" smaller. ER collets have a range of +0 -1mm ish, but anything less than 0.5mm less than nominal size is pushing it for concentricity and holding strength.

Are you sure you mean 5/32? that is close on 0.300" smaller. ER collets have a range of +0 -1mm ish, but anything less than 0.5mm less than nominal size is pushing it for concentricity and holding strength.

TonyOW31,

Thanks for the prompt response. I guess I will turn it down to the next size. Thank you.

Regards,

Drew

I assume you meant 15/32 collet. Yes a ER20-15/32 collet will compress to .4634 no problem. ER collets typically will compress 1mm (.039 inches) in diameter.

I assume you meant 15/32 collet. Yes a ER20-15/32 collet will compress to .4634 no problem. ER collets typically will compress 1mm (.039 inches) in diameter.

Frank (I presume),

Yes, I did mean 15/32". Thank you for catching my typo. I will be ordering from you after dinner, presuming that you have these in stock.

Kind regards,

Drew

Back