What's new
What's new

Gears for japaneese farm tractor

Bill D

Diamond
I saw this for sale on eaby. A compact Yanmar tractor with two gears with at least one missing tooth and a bad "4x4 dropdown gear"? seller looked for parts and found none. What are the odds of finding gears to make fit? If such can be purchased someone got a fair deal if not they got a boat anchor. It is almost worth the final price price for the FEL. A little research shows it was not sold under another name, unlike many yanmars, and it was made about 1980
Bill D

Agricultural Tractor Loader 4WD 3Spd Diesel PTO 3 Pt Hitch Farm Utility bidadoo | eBay

There is far from enough info to make useful comments on this, but someone bit, maybe they knew something.

But for the record, one would have to include the prices for commercial tansmission work, plus gear cutting and heat treating, and we won't forget materials. A cluster gear would be far more expensive than a simple spur gear, for instance.
None of the gear people in the forum responded, that indicates something.

I have a similar era Yanmar. I have had to modify gears for it a couple of times- in my case, the gear that always goes is in the PTO.
There is no availability of parts for many Yanmars of that vintage- well- not "NO"- you can get simple things like clutches and mechanical parts, but not transmission parts.
I have found similar gears, but had to mill them thinner, and custom mill the crazy 13 spline interiors.

the listing has expired, so I cant see which model it is, but I would say, expect custom machining.

the listing has expired, so I cant see which model it is, but I would say, expect custom machining.[/QUOTE]

Model is 1610D. I have no idea what he means by 4x4 dropdown gear. Maybe a constant velocity joint? I aslo see no mention of hours so it could be worn out all around.

mine is a 155D, but its pretty similar.
there is a lever that engages the 4WD, and my guess is, when you engage it, it engages a gear in the the transmission, and that gear is stripped. NO CV's in one of these. The tranny/Pto is all one assembly, and its all mechanical. Mine has a hi/lo 3speed tranny, this one seems to be a hi/med/lo 3 speed. Hence nine forward 3 reverse gears. There will be a separate hi/lo shifter, and then a stick that goes R1234. And the PTO is also a shifter that engages a gear.
Everything except the clutch is gears and shafts.

These guys are the main source of Yanmar parts- Yanmar Tractor Parts
and this is the sum total of tranny parts they offer for that model- TRANSMISSION: Yanmar Tractor Parts

If it is a Gray market unit the chances are about zero for yanmar. I "fixed" one a few years ago that had a broken tooth in the PTO (third range) by drilling a hole in the shift sector and inserting a bolt and nut to lock out the high range. It is still running using the PTO to drive a conveyor.

We hunted the innertubes and dealers for about a month and found nothing.

I thought Yanmar made some of the compacts for John Deere or Bolens about 25 years ago. So there is an outside chance there.

Dave

Yanmar made, and likely makes, a LOT of small tractors and mowers for JD over the years. As well as a LOT of the major components used. Like my 425 lawn tractor's Hydrostatic transmission.

But, like as not, unless a fella gets lucky and finds one sitting amongst the other NOS parts in a guy's back room somewhere, it pretty much boils down to grafting in a gear (providing it is not a custom tooth size) or finding a broken donor to rob from.

Cheers
Trev

What is it about these small tractors that inspire such dogged determination to keep them useful?

Meanwhile, the 30 year old child that can't find a job is kicked out of the house....

Perhaps the tractor is for them?

Thanks for the replys. Sounds like the buyer should have paid another $1,000 or so and got one that worked rather then try to buy/make three gears or more.
Bill D

What is it about these small tractors that inspire such dogged determination to keep them useful?

The price gap between these older units, and what you need to pay to buy a new one, is a pretty strong motivator.

If the tractor runs and moves, it was still worth at least what the guy paid.

If he REALLY wants or needs 4WD, he is going to have to dig pretty hard to find his parts, or pay pretty hard to have them made, but he still has a useful small tractor.

Cheers
Trev

Ever run a wheel barrow? A new Mahinrda 4wd tractor,made in India, similar Horsepower with loader is about $17,000. So this used one is 2550. 1/6 the price of new. Tractors drop fast as they get used then hold steady for decades around 2-3000 if they are small enough for gentlemen farmers on a small lot.
I have no idea about depreciation on $100,000 + big tractors is like but for units that size. a small percentage increase in fuel consumption makes. a big difference since they are run much more each year.
Bill D.

I thought Yanmar made some of the compacts for John Deere or Bolens about 25 years ago. So there is an outside chance there.

Dave

I know another Japanese company, Iseki, made Bolens branded small "medium duty" farm type tractors for a while (20+ years, 60s-80s?), I think possibly yanmar may have made them for a few years after that?

they were decent quality units,the Isekis, near bulletproof diesel 3(?) bangers, tough transmissions (at least in my very limited experience with them).

Ever run a wheel barrow? A new Mahinrda 4wd tractor,made in India, similar Horsepower with loader is about $17,000. So this used one is 2550. 1/6 the price of new. Tractors drop fast as they get used then hold steady for decades around 2-3000 if they are small enough for gentlemen farmers on a small lot.
I have no idea about depreciation on $100,000 + big tractors is like but for units that size. a small percentage increase in fuel consumption makes. a big difference since they are run much more each year.
Bill D.

FWIW a Mahindra is made in Japan by Mitsubishi.

Price out one with a loader on it, if you want to compare, too.

In reality the ebay buyer paid about what the loader was worth, or at least, pretty close.. More than that was pure gravy.

Cheers
Trev

...mine is a 155D, but its pretty similar....

I have the same thing; a YM155D. My Dad bought it new in '81 and I took it over when he no longer needed it. It's been a
great little tractor for the family--even my granddaughters have been driving it.

I've never needed any serious parts but I have done a bit of looking and there's not much out there for them.

Do you have a manual? I still have mine and if you are without one one I'd be happy to send you copies of
anything you might need...

FWIW a Mahindra is made in Japan by Mitsubishi.

Price out one with a loader on it, if you want to compare, too.

In reality the ebay buyer paid about what the loader was worth, or at least, pretty close.. More than that was pure gravy.

Cheers
Trev

Mahindra Tractors - Wikipedia . . . Designed and components made primarily in India with joint ventures in China and elsewhere. No apparent manufacturing or distribution in Japan.

I have a neighbor with a Mahindra tractor about the same size as my Kubota (L3010) . . . his maintenance / repairs have been roughly 10x my experience/ cost in about 18 years of ownership with each of us logging a relatively light ~800 hours of use each in that time.

The only major repair I have had has been from abuse . . . blowing out a front wheel bearing due to overloading the loader. The Mahindra has had multiple hydraulic system failures that spread debris throughout the system resulting in years of headaches along with numerous other wear items failing while the same components (3-point hitch bushings, adjusters, PTO seals, etc.) are still like new on my tractor. Buying a Mahindra tractor is similar to buying a Grizzly lathe.

Back