What's new
What's new

German Measurement of Pressure

baldwin

Cast Iron
Relating to a German Hydraulic machine, we have come up against list of pressures which are stated to be in units of PH. Has any one encountered these and what are they in units we recognise?

Thanks in advance

Steve

Ph pa

Is it a Typo, Pa is the normal standard now, I doubt a EU member would choose their own measuring system. There are quite a few EU members on the PM. We'll see

Weird. Yep, should be a typo.

The traditional German unit of pessure was the Atü - atmospheres of pressure above atmospheric/reference pressure. Handy unit, but doesn't fit into the SI unit system.
At 9.8 N per square cm it is 1KgForce per sq. cm. Weight of one Kilogramm of mass on one sq. centimeter.
Also called Kp(Kilopond = KgForce)/sq. cm

Since that was abolished it has been the Pa - Pascal - newtons per square meter. A mathematically sound but terribly impractical unit.

Therefore most used for engineering is the Bar - 10N per square centimeter or 100kPa.
As handy as the Atü - as mathematically simple as the Pa. Perfect. Unfortunately some monkeys have been putting crap like 100kPa per division on pressure gauges lately, always makes me cringe.

A normal german hydraulic machine should be reading either Atü/atm/Kp if it is old or Bar
if it is new.

Or it reads something along the lines of kPa or MPa - which is terribly bad taste, but unfortunately legal and correct.

PH on the other hand - makes no sense whatsoever.

1Bar/1 Atü/100kPa = about 15 psi

Hectopascal is something i have come across before too, its not common by any means but theirs just a certain age range of stuff out there when it was if that makes sense.

Personaly i prefer Bar or good old PSI, Pascals are just a stupidly small unit of measure for everyday use, its akin to ordering sand by the grain for a building project!

Makes sense, just looked it up, sure enough, Ph = Power,Hydraulic. It's not even a matter of German or not German.

Ph = p * Q "pressure difference times volume over time"

Sounds like a case of
"How much pressure?"
"125"
" Eggs times Bacon over Beers ? "
"No, millizonks per Angstöm week"

In other words.....if its a pressure table, then why is the unit power ? :ack2:

Personaly i prefer Bar or good old PSI,

A European expressing something positive about pound/feet/inch units? Quick, Adama, edit your post before they take away your European membership card! :D

Pascals are just a stupidly small unit of measure for everyday use, its akin to ordering sand by the grain for a building project!

Agree - as with Zonko who also mentioned the point of practicality. Bar is nice, as it aligns well with something one can relate to: atmospheric pressure.

I think the statement of the others regarding a typo is pretty convincing.

Thanks everyone.

It is actually a ZF automatic transmission and the info came from one of their guys in the UK. Doesn't make any sense at all. :confused:

The latest thinking is to put a pressure gauge in the cooler line to measure what it does. The idea is not to fit an oil cooler which will fail due to over pressure.

Steve

Thanks everyone.

It is actually a ZF automatic transmission and the info came from one of their guys in the UK. Doesn't make any sense at all. :confused:

The latest thinking is to put a pressure gauge in the cooler line to measure what it does. The idea is not to fit an oil cooler which will fail due to over pressure.

Steve

Transmission oil coolers are installed on the low side of the pump, should be no issue regarding pressure.

Another Steve

Using the wrong ATF is a very fast way to create overpressure and cause the cooler to leak. The ZF boxes used on VW/Audi only work correctly with OEM ATF.

Back