What's new
What's new

Gits oiler

blockmanjohn

Plastic
Hi to every one. I am new to this forum. My name is John an I am a recently retired bricklayer finally able to pursue my interest in model engine building.

I have a Uni-Vertical mill with a Bridgeport type "H" head.The Gits oiler on it has a tube in the center whose top is more or less even with the full oil level in the cup.

I am not sure what this tube is for. I pumped some oil into it and it came out at the bottom of the spindle. Is that what it is for? It is probably a trivial question, but I am trying to learn as much as possible about this machine and am asking you experts if there is maybe another reason for it's being there.

Thank you in advance for any comments. John.

Attachments

• IMG_0006.JPG
    IMG_0006.JPG
    46.4 KB · Views: 349
  • IMG_0005.JPG
    IMG_0005.JPG
    79.8 KB · Views: 351
Just a guess, its an overflow tube.
If you put oil in the annular area of the gits cup where does the oil go?

Overflow dripping out the spindle bottom is better than running down the outside of the head.

Like I said, just a guess.

Oh, and welcome to the forum. If you haven't all ready, join the Home shop Machinist forum. There are a lot of model engine builders there.

http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/activity.php

I really don't know where the oil in the annular part of the oiler goes. I filled it to the top of the tube a year ago and it has never dropped. The head also has 4 push type ball oilers on it that service regularly.

That's supposed to be the spindle bearings oil port. Throw a little light spindle oil into it before running the mill and you'll be fine.

I've no idea why there's a center tube on yours. Maybe someone modified it at some point?

That oiler is for the spindle bearings there should be a piece of wick in that tube so the oil goes to the bearings slowly and consistently . Bill

Just a heads up.....look around before posting and read up
on "make your titles descriptive" sticky up top.

That's a Gits Type WC or similar. It should hsve a pipe cleaner type wick (e.g. Gits 461-700001 1/8" Wire Cored Cotton Wicking) coiled in it w/ the end going up and into the standpipe to drop oil by capillary action.
The oil passes thru the bearings and leaks out to waste in this design of head.
Assuming it takes the Run some Mobil Heavy Medium circulating oil or DTE 26 hydraulic oil or other ISO 68 weight oil, even *non-detergent* SAE 30 air compressor or N.D. motor oil. As it's once thru it's not a fussy application. H head is similar to an M head (no back gear) believe.

The H head was mostly used on Hardinge TM and UM horizontal mills in the 1940's and 50's. It is much smaller than an M head and has no quill. The H head takes a Hardinge 2VB collet that was designed around 1935 for the newly designed Hardinge BB2V bench-type vertical mill. The collets are rare and expensive, so I hope you got a set of them with your mill. You only need the collets that hold common end mill shanks like 3/16, 3/8 and 1/2 inch. Additional possibly useful sizes are 1/8, 1/4 and 5/16, which are common sizes for solid carbide, but seldom used for high speed steel end mills. I think I have a few spare 2VB collets.

Wool (never use any synthetic) yarn can substitute for a pipe cleaner in the oil cup. The wick must be inserted in the center tube and hang over into the outer oil reservoir. Felt will not usually bend very well. The wick also serves as a filter to keep dirt out of the bearings, fill the tube with whatever wick material you use.

Larry

So a light spindle oil would not be appropriate for this application?

The Bridgeport manual for the 2J head specifies a light spindle oil there, I can't find a manual for the H head but am sure it's the same (actually, the H head predates things enough that likely the spec was for an SAE 10, but a light spindle oil is what you want here).

I have 7 2VB collets,3/16 through 1/2. A 1/8 would be handy for some of the smaller end mills that I use. Thanks for all the great information. I never would have figured this out for myself. John.

I do have an extra 1/8 2VB collet. I often use 1/8 solid carbide burs for tiny milling jobs. They are easy to find and often cheaper than end mills.

Larry

Back