What's new
What's new

Got a preferred tapping coolant?

metalpyro

Aluminum
I had been using Tapmatic with the tricloroethelene. It worked great for tapping carbon steel and ss. Then it got banned. I have been searching for a suitable replacement with little or no luck. I've tried the Tap Magic, Dark cutting oil, Koolmist, all with minimal success. What have you guys using hand crankers found as a best replacement? I used the spray bottle with the Koolmist, or the squeeze can for Tap Magic, and the brush with the dark oil, not flooded.

Hopefully there is something good out there that I have missed or overlooked. Thanks in advance

I agree with your assessment that the old formula with the Trico worked best. I still have a gallon can of the stuff that I covet. It is especially good as a reamer fluid, but the modern Tap Magic is what I use most of the time.

For general everyday tapping and drilling, I use Tap Tool. Kinda stinky, but the best I've found so far. Plus, it's in an aerosol spray. They just reformulated it by putting something in the stuff to comply with safety. It's good for most metals including aluminum.

Aervoe 14 Oz. Tap Tool (Case of 12) 916

On the super tuff shit, I use Tap Magic extra thick. I don't really like it, because of the corrosive effect when heated.

i have seen thick gooey tapping fluid leave machine messy with hard to clean coating all over it.
there been times i just used regular lubricating oil as it cleans easier and keeps machine from getting rusty

I agree with your assessment that the old formula with the Trico worked best. I still have a gallon can of the stuff that I covet. It is especially good as a reamer fluid, but the modern Tap Magic is what I use most of the time.

I called the Tapmatic factory and was told they still make the the good stuff (with Triclor) but it was only available for export. Any of our overseas members ever see it around?

Best stuff I've ever used. With the right tap and this chit I was tapping 6Al4V Ti like it was aluminum.

98-890-7_molydee_pint.jpg

Most of the time I just use the spray mister with my normal coolant. I might mix it a little rich if I think I need to.

Kerosene works good for aluminum- take appropriate precautions.

For steel and SS, I use good-ol Moly-Dee, and wash it off with lacquer thinner.

Liquid Rocol can't be beat,imho. Anyone remember Dev-Tap? Seemed to be mostly Trike. Worked great on steel,on Ali there was some sort of violent reaction once you began to tap,acrid fumes and a cooked tap!

Good news: if you own it, then you can't covet it, because it is already yours. ;) But you might be coveting the quality threads you're sending out, and then you've still got a problem :D

Best stuff I've ever used. With the right tap and this chit I was tapping 6Al4V Ti like it was aluminum.

98-890-7_molydee_pint.jpg
I heard some where, that they change the formula a couple of years ago anyone know if this is true? I still have a bottle of the old stuff guess I am going to have to hoard it if the new stuff is not as good.

Back