What's new
What's new

what is scrap price for iron

kpotter

Diamond
I just had to out bid some scrap guys and they really played tough. I won the bid at 800 on a K&T model k vert is scrap that high that there is money left if they had to pay this much for a mill.

$370 GT here. Prolly about 1/2 that in Kansas City.

No idea what she'd fetch all the way out there. Scrap out your way prolly goes on a slow boat to China. ???

--------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

If you can get it to the port in Long Beach you can get 2X what you can inland a little ways. I can't get $370 here, they're paying $240 to $260 here but I bet with a little prep and a trip to Chicago it might bring more like $450.

Alan

$370 GT here. Prolly about 1/2 that in Kansas City.

No idea what she'd fetch all the way out there. Scrap out your way prolly goes on a slow boat to China. ???

--------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Scrap is high, but other factors must come into play.

Perhaps they are just a few tons short of an incentive bonus.

Perhaps they are over-estimating the weight of the machine.

Perhaps they were doing the seller a favor and "keeping him [you] honest" by shilling it up to "nope, he can't be scrapping it out" pricing.

Around here, some walk-in like me with 1000 lbs will get $265 a ton at OmniSource.

Yes, there is copper, but it's such a pain to manually extract it.

Perhaps the other bidder has access to a shredder and seperator?

This was a state auction no schilling no reserve. The UofA was selling it. I think it weighs like 6000 lbs so at 300 per ton they would be at 900 bucks give or take. I have out bid these guys before but they must be getting desperate to go that high.

Here, one place paying $170 a ton for anything you drag over the scale. I've took them loads that had automobile wheels with tires still on them~ they don't care, they put it all in and on a junk car and smash it as is. Took them an old wood stove with the firebrick still in it, they don't care- it all adds weight! I've seen guys take cars in that they've loaded the trunk with concrete blocks.

The other place has an ad in the paper saying "$200 a ton for small prepared iron". I've heard he is just doing "bait and switch" cause he finds something wrong with your idea of "small" and gets you a lower amount cause it ain't prepared small enough. Advertises a higher price for aluminum cans, too, and in his ad he mentions that price is for dry cans. Get the cans unloaded into his bin, and he digs around and finds one that's dripping beer, then you don't have dry cans and he gives you a lower price than the other places...... I avoid him.

A while back, maybe a year or a bit more, the first place was paying $225 or so a ton. Our town was bereft of ferrous scrap metal! You couldn't leave anything laying out or it was gone. Made me sick cause I had nothing to scrap, and could remember taking whole automobiles out to the scrapyard and getting $20 a ton....and feeling like I robbed a bank

Here in Ohio I have been shocked too with what some scrappers have paid for mills...similar to what yours brought...they must be getting a better price or making hardly anything.

The mill weighs 3 tons and the scrapper was using his smart phone while we were bidding I was wondering what was going on he was probably finding the weight of the mill so that he could figure out what to pay and still make a profit.

Back