What's new
What's new

choosing a machine?

Status
Not open for further replies.

drasticoverkill

Plastic
Alright I already know what most people are going to say (machine is to small, machine is to dumpy, machine is made in CHINA!!), actually its made in tiawan but ya. here's my guestion, I'm looking for a cheap, small, newer, lathe or combo machine, I have some training (enough to be dangerous), but I'm looking for a small, new, cheap, machine to teach myself on. maybe do alittle hobby work, nothing serious. I've been leaning towards a shop fox
m1099, or a Bailiegh MLD-1030, they are both small and cheap, the Bailiegh is a combo which I like, just to get me by until I can buy a mill. and the third machine which I like the most is a Bailiegh PL-1236E-DRO, its a 12"x36", alittle bigger, with alot more feature's, I'm just wondering what people think of this machine, or Bailiegh in general, keep in mind it's NOT for production or any serious work, but I would like to have all the features on the machine just to get used to operating a bigger lathe. any thoughts, comments, or sugestions would be great, thanks.:confused:

See "Machinery Discussion Guidelines" above.

This is a chance to rethink your choices, (terrible) and do a little research that has the potential to provide you with a good, older domestic machine for less money, saving you much frustration.

This thread will be locked because it breaks the rules but if you take the hint, you'll be much better off for it, it will shortening your learning curve and leave you welcome here in the future.

Bob

Your question is well worded, and I know you would like helpful answers. Unfortunately, you are asking in the wrong place. See the rules for PM, then try home shop machinist or similar boards.

My choice for a combination machine back in 1964 was a Unimat SL, by the way. But I had to use it in my bedroom, so bigger was not an option at the time.

Larry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back