What's new
What's new

Graziano lathe purchase

Mattkarhan

Plastic
I am looking to significantly upgrade my current lathe with a machine capable of 12-15" swing (approximately) and length between centers of roughly 24-40. Most work is small diameter and length so the adage of more than you need as far as capacity goes I think I am building in a decent buffer.
I am looking for an Inch and metric threading capability.
I have been lusting after a Graziano 12 x30. I have read tons of good things on here and Tony's lathe site.
Here is my reservation: I know I am. Or capable of a restoration like the ones documented here regarding electrical and the electromagnetic clutches should they go. I need a machine that will just work (within reason). Is a $4500 purchase for this lathe an inevitable "you will have to dig into the electrical at some point " ?
I have been looking at a DoAll/Romi 13x40 which meets my requirements but seems to be less badass :) than the Graziano.
Recommendations on reliability of a better machine versus a simpler one?
Any ways these ( not equal) but similar machines are not even a close comparison? Others to consider ? Looked at a Yam 14x 22 as well. Thoughts?

I meant to say # definetly NOT capable of the electrical restoration. With the exception of maybe a no no/ VFD skip the tranny rig

When it comes to buying used it's all about condition, no matter what machine you're considering. Do you want a turnkey machine? A project? Or somewhere in the middle? You have to find a balance between how quickly you want to be in operation and how capable you are of performing repairs. Since I use my machines to make money I've never been in a position where I could afford the time to tackle a project. I've always purchased "working" tools but your situation may be different.

And, for what it's worth, the Graziano is a great lathe. We had a SAG 14 for many years and loved it. One of the dumbest things I ever did was let it go when we down-sized in the late 90s...

This SAG12 is in working condition from a dealer. It just seems to me that the general design to the electrical shifting of spindle speeds instantly through a apron joystick and auto braking are awesome but Could be an issue down the road If it works when purchased how long can I expect it to be as such? Is the better machine worth the potential repair costs in 3 years?
A question: how much better of a machine is the Graziano than a Romi? I assume both are of decent build.

I've run a few Grazianos, and all of them needed the clutch adjustment to keep the spindle from turning while in the neutral position. A fairly easy tweak, but time is money, and most shops are maintenance poor.

They are right up there with More Seiki and Okuma for a lathe of that size in my experience.

I knew a guy who witnessed a Graziano taking a 1/4" cut and got the fever.

He collect 4 of them with the intent to restore. I don't remember which models they all were. I went over to his place a couple of times to help with a small electrical problem. The hardest thing he had to deal with was getting the gear box inserted back. My opinion is one of respect when I hear the name "Graziano".

If you don't like the thought of electromagnetic clutches, the 14 is pretty well conventional. I even see there's one offered for a similar price to the 12 in CA.

Back