What's new
What's new

Grid couplings

DeSelle

Cast Iron
Does anyone know what process is used to make the teeth on grid couplings? Looking at the I assumed it was wire EDM but someone suggested machining. Just a curiosity for me.

Thanks for any info

Nathan

Probably numerous ways, but if you have the volume, a pot broach would be the most cost effective. If you don't have the volume, use a slotting cutter on a mill.

As many couplers as they make, I'd bet you $0.05 that they broach after turning the OD so they have a locating surface. You're looking at seconds for cycle time.
JR

I've worked with quite a few Falk brand couplings and they certainly appeared to have been machined, not cut with EDM.

Stuart

I'm not sure, but I always thought that some of them appeared to be sintered metal. I've bored a boxcar full, but never really dug into it.

JH

I'm not sure, but I always thought that some of them appeared to be sintered metal. I've bored a boxcar full, but never really dug into it.

JH

The outer housing is usually pot metal.

The inside hubs are a proper steel. Machines very well.

I always assumed they were just hobbed like a straight tooth gear.

It is more complex than EDM or broaching.

The driving surfaces are curved and tapered for flexure characteristics.

Click on the images IronReb offered.

Then click the "steelflex" heading and scroll down.

Near the bottom there are diagrams that show this.

( I must try to learn how to post "links")

petersen

That's what has been puzzling me. The geometry is complicated but the finish on the ones I see is poor so maybe multiple passes with a thin milling saw of sorts?

It is more complex than EDM or broaching.

The driving surfaces are curved and tapered for flexure characteristics.

Click on the images IronReb offered.

Then click the "steelflex" heading and scroll down.

Near the bottom there are diagrams that show this.

( I must try to learn how to post "links")

petersen

How to post a link: Either Click the button that looks like a globe with a chain link next to it, or, if your link was to Google you could simply type THIS IS MY DESCRIPTION OF MY LINK[/url*] without the * in the HTML tags.

Back