What's new
What's new

Guide bearing, horizontal bandsaw

Don't know if it will apply to your saw, but common skateboard/inline skate bearings fit my Taiwan saw perfectly. They are sealed and pretty accurate....oh and cheap.

Don't know if it will apply to your saw, but common skateboard/inline skate bearings fit my Taiwan saw perfectly. They are sealed and pretty accurate....oh and cheap.

Searched on the part number and yes they came up as skateboard bearings!
Might change out the front two as well as they have the occasional sticking when I spin them.

Cole and Digger....I get the message. Clearly this forum is only for smug people who already know-it-all. I wont bother to post on this forum again.

It takes thick skin to post on this site. Assumptions are that:
- you're an idiot
- your question is stupid
- you're a moron for not knowing your question is stupid and for even asking it in the first place
- there's no reason to do whatever it is you're trying to do
- a simple redesign would have preventing you from having to ask your stupid question
etc

There is still lots of useful information here that you can't get anywhere else. Best thing to do is grow a pair and deal with it.

Throwing insults, belittling, or generally making someone feel stupid, doesn't really do any good anywhere. Unless of course, someone wants to start a verbal fight, or wants to make themself feel better by knocking someone else down.

Or is that normal accepted behaviour here.

I don't think the answer is for the OP to grow a pair and deal with it. The answer is for people who respond to not try and make someone feel stupid.

Worth adding guide bearings don't generally last all that long, the centrifugal force moves the bearing grease to the od and they tend to gradually dry out then seize up. This does not just apply to bandsaws but is common on nearly all sealed or shielded roller bearings failing faster when the inside elements stationary and the OD spins do to this effect.

Solid carbide guides are so much nicer on a band-saw, better guidance and they last damn near forever. But you do have to run flood coolant or they tend to jam up with crap.

Throwing insults, belittling, or generally making someone feel stupid, doesn't really do any good anywhere. Unless of course, someone wants to start a verbal fight, or wants to make themself feel better by knocking someone else down.

Or is that normal accepted behaviour here.

I don't think the answer is for the OP to grow a pair and deal with it. The answer is for people who respond to not try and make someone feel stupid.

We are bettering ourselves ?
And yes, the post's were so hate filled.

Please read (I see your a new person here) the "guidelines".

And you'll note that the OP's saw borders on taiwan hobbyshop, and the
posting itself was pretty "harry Homeshop".

However, ignorance on the OP's part of not searching the archives a wee bit,
get's under allot of members skin. Helping someone that wants to learn is one
thing, wanting something handed them for free is ignorant.

Respect goes both ways.

You'll also note the childish behavior of the OP by editing their post's.

I can't say it enough, the new website The Hobby-Machinist Forums
advertises as "the friendly place" and he and you should both move there.
(and no I don't make any money by providing the linky)

Where heavy moderation guarantees a "happy Happy Joy Joy" response,
but probably not getting a proper, helpfull answer.

Some of those guide bearings that the heel/back of the blade rides against are capped and the bearings are hidden. If the saw was bought and the bearing was already locked up a new user may not have seen or been sure that it was suppose to spin. A little oil helps. The bearing catches hell if coolant is used.
Its a sacrificial part that lasts a long time if kept spinning. .

We are bettering ourselves ?
And yes, the post's were so hate filled.

Please read (I see your a new person here) the "guidelines".

And you'll note that the OP's saw borders on taiwan hobbyshop, and the
posting itself was pretty "harry Homeshop".

However, ignorance on the OP's part of not searching the archives a wee bit,
get's under allot of members skin. Helping someone that wants to learn is one
thing, wanting something handed them for free is ignorant.

Respect goes both ways.

You'll also note the childish behavior of the OP by editing their post's.

I can't say it enough, the new website The Hobby-Machinist Forums
advertises as "the friendly place" and he and you should both move there.
(and no I don't make any money by providing the linky)

Where heavy moderation guarantees a "happy Happy Joy Joy" response,
but probably not getting a proper, helpfull answer.

Well, just to keep you happy Doug, I'll ignore your suggestion, and I won't go to a different forum. I'll make sure I keep you overjoyed by coming here when I have something to ask. And maybe I'll ask something about fixing my $10 drill just for your viewing pleasure.

Nearly 10,000 posts, it seems to me you like the sound of your own voice, and probably think you own the forum.

You are making it out that I said / implied things that I never did. I never implied happy happy joy joy, and I never mentioned hate, I was simply saying piss taking and insulting should not be necessary.

So please, stop adding in BS into the mix, and get off your high horse.

Number one thing to remember here is most of the members here are the same ones who would be the crusty old codger in the shop who has seen and done a lot. To a lot of these guys, asking beginner questions seems like someone asking you how to walk. I might add that although the posts in question were a bit snarky, they weren't really insulting. It would be a different story if a pejorative had been added, like "I've never seen a bearing that didn't spin, dumbass" or similar. :D Most of the stuff here is meant to be humorous I'm pretty sure, and it is to many of us. It comes down to text not coming across the same way as speech in a lot of cases.

Back