What's new
What's new

Hand Cutting A Stamped Steel Gear

Don2222222

Plastic
Trying to repair a window regulator gear from an old Dodge truck for my boss. What is the best method for ensuring proper gear mesh, tooth height and radius match... I will begin my second try on Monday, any suggestions for toolup would be appreciated.

The gear is a simple stamped steel regulator gear that has worn out at the top few teeth. I welded some blobs onto them and did some basic measurements with calipers and a mic, but when I finished it, it wasn't right, i think that the tooth height is wrong causing slippage from the repair point.

Thanks in advance for any constructive input.

Well the best method would be direct comparison to a matching gear. But then if you had one of them you would not need to repair this one. However, if he repaired teeth look visually the same as undamaged teeth, I'd be looking at the mating drive gear. It may be seriously worn and barely engaging.

If someone had sufficient motivation and a lot of time to invest, they could make a casting from a good section of the gear in opaque plastic or low temp metal alloy and use that as a test template for the repaired teeth. Rough cut the teeth a bit oversize and then file until no light shows between the template and the gear.

Hmmm... There's enough of the gear beyond the point of travel to cut off and weld in place of the bad ones, but we only have access to a mig welder. No tig. So, I will have to cut at least three or four teeth. The crank gear is in good shape, it is a much superior part in comparison to the regulator.

build them up with weld make a template of the good sections use the template to grind them to shape moving one tooth at a time.
Or just draw a new one and cut it with cnc mill.
source a replacement

Take a $20 bill and a set of tools to the wrecking yard, sorry, auto recycler, and get another one.

If the teeth are worn off it, really, it's time. The rest of it wore too, and needs as much attention.

Chances are that the pivot points throughout the gear train are loose as anything, allowing it to get out of mesh even worse and wear to nothing.

But try not to overthink it. If a stamped gear worked, draw one out on paper, stick it down to a gear blank and hack it out. Better to make the entire gear than to try to dick around making new teeth by welding, IMO.

Checked Rock Auto?
Makes a swell Christmas gift!

Cheers
Trev

Thanks everyone, boss is a frugal guy. No CNC within near distances, very rural here. But after a bit of research I resourced a new one from a restoration supplier.

Back